I have a Projects table. Each Project has many tasks. The users can enter text comments for each task. Is there any way via button or script that these comments can appear back in a report on the Projects table?
I know I can't have a summary field with text, like I can with numbers. But is there a script that the user can run after entering the Task comments to copy those comments to the related Project?
Are you trying to do the following?
NealPatil @ gmx.com
Note : I found out that comments do not allow uploading of file. So I am putting my comments in answer section which allows uploading of file.
T1,T2,T3,T4,T5 are tasks
P1, P2, P3 are projects
Task Link T1-P1 will take you to Task1 of Project1.
Comment link Comment1-T1-P1 will take you to Comment1 of Task1 of Project1.
Yes - Comments can be modified as needed. Comments is part of Task - so Modification of Task will provide modification of Comments. As modification of Task-Comment is important for you I have also added Link for modification of Task-Comment while viewing project details. Also comments are Multi Line in the attached screenshot prototype. Task Link in Project Details will result into corresponding Task record for project and modification of Task can be used to modify comment, but it will involve two clicks
- Click Task Link
- Click modification/edit of Task for modification of comment
Direct modification link of Task in project details will be one click operation for modification of comment.
NealPatil @ gmx.com
One Project has many Tasks.
1. Create a summary maximum of the [Record ID#] of Tasks, subject to the filter where comments is not blank. Call it [Record ID# of 1st Most Recent Task with Comment]
2. Create a new relationship where 1 Task has many Projects. Yes this is backwards, and hence generally called a reverse relationship. On the right side of the relationship, do not let QuickBase create a new field, but rather choose the field called [Record ID# of 1st Most Recent Task with Comment].
3. Get rid of the clutter on the left side of the relationship. Delete the report link field and the Add Project fields.
4. Look up the Comment field from the Task to the Project and called it [Most Recent 1st Comment]. Great, now the project record knows the 1st most recent comment.
5. Go back to the main relationship where One Project has many Tasks.
6. Look up that field [Record ID# of 1st Most Recent Task with Comment] down to the tasks table.
7. Duplicate that Summary Maximum field for [Record ID# of 1st Most Recent Task with Comment] and edit its setup to add a filter where the Record ID# is less than the value of [Record ID# of 1st Most Recent Task with Comment]. Call it [Record ID# of 2nd Most Recent Task with Comment].
8. You will notice that conveniently, when you duplicated that field for [Record ID# of 1st Most Recent Task] it will have also duplicated the reverse relationship. Edit that new Relationship to pull down the comment field and call it [Most Recent 2nd Comment].
Basically just keep doing the same thing over and over for say 5 loops.
Then make a field to list all the comments vertically in a field called [Most Recent 5 comments]
[Most Recent 1st Comment]
[Most Recent 2nd Comment]
[Most Recent 3rd Comment]
[Most Recent 4th Comment]
[Most Recent 5th Comment])
if you like you can also do a summary count of the # of Tasks with Comments. and then update that formual above with a suffix of
& IF([# Tasks with Comments] >5, "..... and more, see project record)
Because the key is a text field, I'm not able to use this as a summary maximum. I can use an autonumber numerical field to create [Record ID# of 1st Most Recent Task with Comment], but then I'm not able to create the reverse relationship using a non-key field.
Am I SOL unless I change the key field?
My only other thought is to make a summary report off the child Tasks table to summarized based on Rows group by Project Name and group by Comment field. Give that a try as its a quick thing to try and maybe as an alternative to SOL it's better than nothing.
- 3236 Conversations
- 124 Followers
- 2598 Conversations
- 44 Followers
- 3057 Conversations
- 87 Followers
- 2239 Conversations
- 21 Followers
- 7159 Conversations
- 170 Followers
- 1112 Conversations
- 9 Followers
- 443 Conversations
- 10 Followers