Can I highlight a job depending on what tasks have been completed?

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered

I have two tables, jobs and tasks. A job will have multiple tasks. The tasks are separated by steps 1-6, and each step has multiple sub-steps, i.e. 1.01-1.12. These steps are under the field [Job Phase]. The steps are to designate who is working on which part of the job. Step 1 and its sub-steps are for admins, step 2 and its sub-steps are for project managers, etc. A project manager won't begin step 2 until all sub-steps in step 1 are complete. I was hoping to highlight the job depending on which step it is currently in, i.e. the job will be highlighted pink while in step 1 then it will switch to green when it is in step 2 and so on. The only fields in the tasks table that the user can change are [completion date] and [N/A]. I also have a [completed] checkbox field that autopopulates when there is a completion date or [N/A] is checked. I was going to possibly try to highlight the row when the last task in a step is complete(such as when step 1.12 is complete), but I don't know if I can do this since that field is in a different table. Is there a way for me to do this? Thank you for the help.

Photo of Brandon

Brandon

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Xavier Fan

Xavier Fan, Champion

• 720 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Let's start with the row colorization in the Jobs table.

I'm assuming that each Task has a [Step] field, which is 1.01, 1.12, etc.  

Let's say that [Step] is a Number field.  If [Step] is a Text field, then you'd need a separate [Step Number] field (which would be a Formula Number field which converts [Step] into a Number - i.e. with formula ToNumber([Step])

Then make a summary field - from Jobs - summarizing the Minimum [Step] where [completed] = unchecked.  This summary field in the Jobs table might be called [Current Step].

This should tell you what step the Job is in.  

i.e. For all the Tasks in this Job, if the minimum [Step] for uncompleted Tasks is 2.06 - then you're still in Step 2.

Then in the Jobs report - you can use row colorization to highlight the Jobs.

e.g.

If (

[Current Step] <= 1, "pink",

[Current Step] >= 2 and [Current Step] < 3, "green",

[Current Step] >= 3 and [Current Step] < 4, "purple"

)

Here's the online help on row colorization:

http://www.quickbase.com/user-assistance/Default.html#row_colorization.html
Photo of Brandon

Brandon

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
You killed it. It did exactly what I needed. Thank you.
Photo of Xavier Fan

Xavier Fan, Champion

• 720 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Great - you're welcome!