Can I "lock" a relationship between fields to keep data from changing after lock box is checked?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
Jobs table is linked to PPP table.
PPP table holds information (fields) that change on a regular basis.  I would like to lock the relationship to the Jobs table  (in a single job record) once I click a checkbox [PPP complete] in the job record so that when I make changes to the PPP table in the future, all look-up fields (about 25 fields) do not change in the Job record.  Please advise.
Photo of Lynne8817

Lynne8817

• 630 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

You will need to use snapshots to freeze the values.

http://www.quickbase.com/user-assistance/Default.html#setting_up_snapshot_fields.html

Snapshots freeze at the moment a parent is selected and saved.  But they will refresh when a parent is de-selected and then re-selected and saved.  Your issue is that you select a Parent PPP and maybe the lookup values which were snapshotted in Jobs are not yet truly finalized, so the initial snapshot may be out of date.

I have not tested this, but I'm pretty sure that if you make a URL formula button called Lock Snapshots, which will  De-select the Parent and then Re-select the Parent, that it will refresh the snapshots.

Post back if you need help with that URL formula field.
Photo of Lynne8817

Lynne8817

Does this mean that every look-up field from the PPP table would have to be a snapshot field?
Yes, it does mean that.  Typically I name each respective lookup field like
[Standard Price (lookup)]

Then for each lookup field I have a field named like

[Standard Price]

or if you prefer for clarity

[Standard Price (snapshot)]

or maybe
[Standard Price (locked)]
Photo of Lynne8817

Lynne8817

Thank you.  I'll give it a try.
Photo of Lynne8817

Lynne8817

Actually, it's not going to work for me.  As I looked closer, there are way too many fields handle.  To simplify...is there any way to "lock" record #12345 so that no matter what happens with the lookup fields, nothing will change in record #12345?
No, a lookup field will always be dynamic lookup of the current value of the parent at the time you view the child record.