Can you build a QuickSearch with an embedded UserID/PW?

• Question
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • Answered
My users have roughly 8 different QuickBase apps they may need to search. They have access to 7 for some specific reasons.One of the Quickbase apps is a "hub" of sorts that has a search of each of their other Quickbase.

Is it possible to do a QuickSearch with an Embedded UserName/PW that will override their login for the purposes of searching the final QB that the individual user does not have access to?

I thought it might look something like this but it's not quite working right.

<tr> <td class="rep" style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 14px; COLOR: white" colspan="2" bgcolor="#31619c"> <b>Search for a --------------------------------------------</b></font> </td> </tr> <tr> <form name="searchMiniForm" action="----------------------" method="get"> <input value="QuickSearch" name="act" type="hidden" /> <input type="hidden" name="username" value="---------------------"/> <input type="hidden" name="password" value="-------------------------------"/> <td class="botl"><input id="srchtxt" size="30" name="srchtxt" /> </td> <td class="botr"><input class="v70" onclick="this.form.submit()" value="Find" type="submit" /></td> </form> </tr>

Photo of JessicaD_QB

JessicaD_QB

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Jack

Jack, Champion

• 50 Points
Hi Jessica,

A user would need access to the information to be able to access it and embedding a username and password into a search box would reveal it if anyone inspected the page code, which would make your app vulnerable.

This is a long shot but this search box code worked on my old dashboards and gave search results based on a users role level access only. You could paste the App level ID of the 8th app which the users don't have access into the code and put it in the dashboards of the other apps.

The users would need a role in the 8th app to view the records but you could set their roles default homepage to a blank dashboard hide all tables and ability to add records create reports etc, this will prevent them accessing the app in the normal way but they would be able to search records in it, you could also restrict this down further if you needed to. Its not the cleanest way to do it but it should work.

To use the code:

All you need to do is paste the code and change INSERT APP LEVEL ID to the db id for the level where the dashboard pages sit. See attached screenshot which shows the code and how it looks on the dashboard. Sorry I couldn't paste the code into this field but it tries to render it.

Hope this works for you.

Jack
Photo of JessicaD_QB

JessicaD_QB

I was afraid of that. Here is kind of the set up I have within the Hub

Search1  Search2
Search3  Search4
Search5  Search6
Search7*

Search 1-6 Each individual user exists in Quickbase 1 through 6
Search 7 is searching QB7 in which the users do not exist. If I understood what you said, no way around it - I must load each individual in.

I'd rather spend a few hours/minutes coding than the time it takes to on/offboard 250-300 individuals over 4 months
Photo of Jack

Jack, Champion

• 50 Points
Yes if you want a user to access data held within an app you need to give them access to it.

Do you not have a full list of all the users emails? as you can import the users into the app into a role. Make sure you set up the role they need first, that way you can put them into it at the import stage. Will all your users have the same level of access to QB7? If so that should be incredibly easy to do, providing you can extract the email addresses (there is a user export function in account settings (billing area) under users with access tab if you have access to it you can export all the email addresses) .

If your worried about managing terminating peoples access you can also disable this at an account level and it will disable access to all the apps for that user across your realm (this is also in the billing section).
Photo of JessicaD_QB

JessicaD_QB

Yeah in my business the user list changes randomly. New folks come on, others go off.  Getting them all added at first is cake. the role is cake. :) I was hoping to avoid more admin work.
Photo of Jack

Jack, Champion

• 50 Points
People going off is fairly easy too as you can disable their access to all apps at once in the account billing, they are then denied access to all apps. You can then tidy up the users with denied access in the apps when you have spare time.