choose which form to use when creating a new record

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered

Is there a way to choose which form to use when creating a new record?

Photo of NP

NP

• 10 Points

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training

QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training, Champion

• 69,724 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
where are you creating there New record from?  A Parent Record or the dashboard or the table itself?
Photo of NP

NP

• 10 Points
From the Parent Record.

add the form ID # to the URL call.

URLRoot() & "db/" & [_DBID_INVOICES] & "?a=API_GenAddRecordForm&dfid=10&_fid_12=" & URLEncode ([Record ID#])

//& "&z=" & Rurl()

The forms list now shows the form ID#. So make two buttons to go to two forms.
Photo of NP

NP

• 10 Points
I think i'm on the right track! In your example above, what does the _fid_12 represent?

You already have a button on your Parent record to create a child.  Just copy it and edit it to insert the form number.

The _fid_12 is the field [Related Parent] in the child record.  It needs to be populated with the [record ID#] of the Parent Record we are sitting on when we click the button.
Photo of NP

NP

• 10 Points
Yes, I just figured that part out as I was testing the button. Thank you so much!
Photo of NP

NP

• 10 Points
So I have the new record created with the new form. But whenever I access that record, I am viewing it through the eyes of the defaulted form. I know you can set roles to specific forms but in my case, I'd like this specific record to be viewed with the layout of the new form but by ANY role. Is this possible?

Not, there is not a way to have a record dynamically know which form to use unless its controlled by Form Rules by Role or by report.

You may need to go back to having Form Rules and show / hide rules on section, so the form  is the same form, but different section making the form look different for the two situations.

HOWEVER, you may not use an input field more than once on a form, so you will need to arrange your fields so that the common input fields are in a common section to both situations.

You can give the user the option to to flip to the alternate form by adding a URL formula button like

urlroot() & "db/" & dbid() & "&dfid=10&rid=" & totext([record id#])
Photo of NP

NP

• 10 Points
Thank you! I will try that out.