Combine child records from various tables into one report

• Question
  • Updated 5 months ago
  • Answered
I am building a legal case manager. I have 3 child tables connected to the main Cases table - they are Documents, Emails, and Other Communications.

What I'd like to do is have a report called "Activity Summary" which combines the individual records from the child tables into one report sorted by date. (In other words, a list of the documents, emails, and others will appear in the same place in chronological order.)

Is there a way to do this?

I thought about creating a new table called Activity Summary and then creating an automation to create a new record in the Activity Summary table every time a record is created in one of the child tables. However, it doesn't seem like there would be a way to access the original records directly from this new table. (For example, if I see an email dated 2/11/19, I want to be able to click on that and get to the original email.)

What are my options?
Photo of Sarah Clark

Sarah Clark

• 602 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of Kingsly SD Samuel

Kingsly SD Samuel

• 998 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Are there any connections between Document, emails, and other communications? Or, are they are only and directly connected to the main case table?
Photo of Sarah Clark

Sarah Clark

The latter.
You can make a relationship between the original record as the parent and the centralized table as the child, and then when looking at the centralized table there can be a link to the original record.  The Automation will easily be able to populate the related original record.
You may want to make a formula rich text field with a hyperlink to have just 1 easy link to click to get to the correct original record as you would have multiple relationships to that Child Table so multiple Original record fields for [Related original email], [Related original Document], [Related original other]
Photo of Sarah Clark

Sarah Clark

Oh hi Mark!
Thanks for replying.
.. nice to see that you are still in the Quick Base world!