Copy the Project - Error for User (but not admin)

• Question
  • Updated 6 months ago
  • Answered
Hi, When I use "copy the project" as an admin, all the records gets copied. But, it throws up the below error message, when an user try it. Any idea as to why it is happening. And, I could not find the table (bn3txf9mx) it is referring to. How do I find that information?

"There was an error copying the records. Contact the application administrator with the error details below. 
Error Details:
You do not have permission to add records to the table: bn3txf9mx"
Photo of Kingsly SD Samuel

Kingsly SD Samuel

• 734 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of Jason Rake

Jason Rake

• 214 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Is it possible that one of the tables or fields in the app is referencing a table or field in another QuickBase app that the user doesn't have permissions for? I have seen that cause errors before. 

Kingsly SD Samuel

I have hid 3 more tables in the app from Users as they are not applicable to our project. In addition, I also took away the permission to "add" any record to these tables. After your reply above, I went back to just give them access to "add", but still kept it hid from their view, it is now throwing up a different error message "Error Details: Oops. You don't have permission to access that page"

Kingsly SD Samuel

Thanks Jason, it is the relationship that it had with the other tables created that issue, once I broke that it works fine.

Now my other part of the question is, when copying the project, it is copying all the tasks and subtasks of the project. I just wanted the functionality to copy only the project details, the tasks and milestones will be separately added to this new project by the PM. Do you know how to modify the command to copy only the project details with task and everything empty?
Photo of Jason Rake

Jason Rake

• 214 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Not sure on this one. I think maybe a QuickBase action or automation could be used. 
Photo of QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training

QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training, Champion

• 63,880 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Please post the code for your Copy button

Kingsly SD Samuel

"javascript:void(copyMasterDetailButtonHandler('&copyFid=16&destrid=0&sourcerid=" & [Record ID#] & "', 'bn3txf9h2'))"

I suggest that you go though that wizard help to make the button over again, and this time when it asks if you want children copied from all relationships, select only some of the relationships. 
Photo of Evan Martinez

Evan Martinez, Community Manager

• 11,236 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Is the end goal just to copy the field values for the Project a user is viewing and not to also copy all the child records? If so there is also the Copy this Project functionality that appears under the More dropdown that only copies the record that the user is currently viewing and does not copy any of the child records. 

Kingsly SD Samuel

I see only "copy the table" not "copy the project" option

Kingsly SD Samuel

Mark - the code came with the template I downloaded, I don't know where the wizard is.
Photo of Evan Martinez

Evan Martinez, Community Manager

• 11,236 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Ahh ok, the Copy this Project option appears when you are viewing the record in form mode. When you are on a report you see the Copy Table dialog instead.

Alternatively the wizard for creating a copy master and detail button can be found in the App settings under App Management. There is an option for Copy Master & Detail records that will take you to the wizard. 
(Edited)

The wizard is under Settings for the application, then App management and then 
Copy master & detail records

re: I see only "copy the table" not "copy the project" option

If you just want to copy a Parent record and not the children, then view any record and use the "More .." button.

Kingsly SD Samuel

I don't see a 'more' button when I am in a record. it just gives me save and close

:)  
then view any record and use the "More .." button.

You need to be in View mode,  not edit.

btw, if that More button does serve you needs, that can easily be made into a more obvious URL formula button for users to push when Viewing a record.

Note also that you can control which fields will copy forward, when using that More button method.  That is a field property checkbox setting,.

Kingsly SD Samuel

'view' and option 'more' works perfect for my need. Thank you everyone.