Count number of people a task is assigned to

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
We would like to simply report all tasks which have not been assigned to anyone.  I came up with the formula below from an earlier post, but it does not work and I have no idea what it is doing.  Can anyone help???

If(not IsNull(ToUser(Part(ToText([AssignedtoList]),0,";"))), 0)

Thanks, Ron
Photo of Ron

Ron

• 50 Points

Posted 3 years ago

Hi Ron, the solution is likely much simpler than your formula.

Can you describe your relationship between Tasks and Task Assignments.  Is there one?  Are users assigned to a Task on the Task record itself, or are they assigned as a list of multiple users or "resources assignments" to a task as a child table to the task.  If its the latter then there is likely an embedded table of the Assignees on the task record, so that is how you can tell if its a child table.

If the Assignment is done on the record itself, can you tell me who many users can be assigned to a task and what those field names are?
Photo of Ron

Ron

• 50 Points
The assignment is done directly in the task record using the field AssignedtoList.  Perhaps 2 or three users could be assigned, but the immediate issue is simply finding tasks where no one is assigned.  Standard users are selected in the list, with no special selection criteria.  Thanks.
If you just want a report of where all the task assignments field are blank. then just run a report off the tasks table subject to the filter where

[Task Assignee 1] is equal to the user .. other ... and then leave it blank.

[Task Assignee 2] is equal to the user .. other ... and then leave it blank.

[Task Assignee 1] is equal to the user .. other ... and then leave it blank.

[Task Assignee 4] is equal to the user .. other ... and then leave it blank.

You can make this a table report which will note the # of tasks at the top of the report, or you can do a summary report to count the records.
Photo of Ron

Ron

• 50 Points
Just to clarify, the assignments field is a single List User field which can hold multiple values.   There are about 20 possible users, but we want to select where no users have been entered.  I tried to follow your suggestion and filter the report using the AssignedtoList field equal to 'the user(s)' but it then forces me to select an existing user (I can not leave the field blank).
There are probably many ways to solve this one, but let do this.

Make a new field called [My List User field in text format] with the formula of

ToText([My List User field])

Then simply filter the report where [My List User field in text format] is equal to  ... and just leave the box blank.
Photo of Ron

Ron

• 50 Points
Sometimes simpler is better.  It worked, thanks again.
Photo of Ricardo Tsai

Ricardo Tsai

• 40 Points
Hi Ron,
I would create a formula text field that equals the value of your AssignedtoList and convert it to text. Then, create a report looking where this new formula text field is empty.