Create a grid edit report template with dates filled in

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered

I am trying to create a template for one of our manager's scheduling needs. She would like to be able to schedule all employees one week at a time from the same report. I have already made a Grid Edit report for her but she is worried she will forget employees and dates. Is there a way to create a form or report that already has employees/dates filled in? (And then she just has to change where employees are going/times) 

I am not too familiar with the copy master functionality so I am not sure if that is what I would use? 

Photo of Amanda

Amanda

• 10 Points

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training

QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training, Champion

• 69,612 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Can you better describe your tables and their relationships as to the One and the Many and which records you are trying to create?
Photo of Amanda

Amanda

• 10 Points
One employee has many schedules. Each employee gets scheduled for each day(which creates a new record for every day, for every employee) Right now, I have it set up so she can just grid edit from the Schedule Table home page, but she is getting confused. I am basically trying to find a simpler way for her to make a new weeks schedule. If I could have a link to a grid edit report where the date is auto-populated that could work...or a form with employees names listed and a link to a grid edit report next to each name... I am not really sure what would work best in Quickbase,

Here is one solution.

You already have the relationship where 1 EE has many Schedules.  Make a New Relationship where 1 Scheduled Week has many Employee Schedules.  Make a master record which would contain the typical set of records, so if you had 6 employees, there would be 30 records, (ie each employee has 5 records).  This will be Record ID# 1 in the Scheduled Week table. Assuming that you are doing a 5 day schedule then the Scheduled Week would be entered with a date of a Monday.  For this first record it does not matter which Monday any Monday will do.

One the detail record each employee schedule record would have a day of the week # called [day of week #], so 1,2,3,4,5 in the 5 records for John Smith.  Then have a calculated date  which has a formula of [date from weekly parent record] + days([day of week #]).

so, for example if the parent record is set for Monday August 3rd, then the 5 scheduled day will be for the 3,4,5,6,7th of August.

Now, lastly, make a button on the Parent Scheduled Week Record using the Settings / App management / Copy Master and Detail Record and as you follow the steps select the option to always copy the children form a particular record.  Put the magic button on the Parent record.

So what will happen is the the Manager will enter the date for the Monday and then click the button to import the standard set of employee schedule records.  In my example 30 records will be created and then they can be grid edited with the scheduled hours with no worry about missing any one.  The child table can be set to be editable in form properties so just editing the Scheduled week record will allow for grid edit to that week's records.

As the Standard employee schedules changes from time to time, just edit that master record, and then the next time the standard are are copied to a new Scheduled Week, the new schedule will come in.

Photo of Amanda

Amanda

• 10 Points
I don't really understand the formula date field... Does it go on the Employee Schedule table or the 1 Scheduled Week table? Also.. I tried the formula and it does not work, it says that "The types of the arguments or the number of arguments supplied do not meet the requirements of the function days.The function is defined to be Days (Number n)."

The formula would go on the employee schedule record.  The day of week number needs to be a numeric field, not a text field.
Photo of Amanda

Amanda

• 10 Points
Ok.. Now I cannot figure out where the first date goes... Do I put the initial Monday date on the Employee Schedule table or the 1 Scheduled Week table?

The Sunday Date would go on the Parent "Scheduled Week" record and be looked up down to the Employee Schedules table.
Photo of Amanda

Amanda

• 10 Points
I think maybe it is the "[date from weekly parent record] " messing me up... is this just supposed to be the date field that is already on the employee schedule form? Because that is what I have it set at and I am getting the wrong dates as an answer...
Sorry, Some days my logical thinking skills are just not there...like today clearly.

The field [date from weekly parent record] was the Sunday date from the Parent Record looked up down to the employee schedule records.  If you like you can contact me directly via the information in my profile for personal one on one service, or we can continue this way which is fine too.
Photo of Amanda

Amanda

• 10 Points
Hi sorry... I have been working on this and I am almost there except when I click the "import detail records button" it does not pull the records I created... Any ideas as to why? I have the button on the 1 schedule week form where we can enter a date and there is a grid edit report. I created the first set of records but nothing shows up when I click the button. I dont see the option to always copy children written exactly like that so maybe I am not choosing the correct settings when creating the button?

It's hard to guess.  Did you create the 5 records in that Special Master Parent record? Did you create that special Master Parent record?  Does it have 5 child records.  Did you build the import button to always import from that Master record?
Photo of Amanda

Amanda

• 10 Points
Ok... This is my last question.... I have it working for me under the admin role... But when the manager, who is just in a team member role tries to import she gets this error message:
"There was an error copying the records.
Contact the application administrator with the error details below.
Error Details:
You do not have permission to add records to the table: bj5ukcn42"
I set it so she has full access to the table and also checked the box in app properties that said team members can copy (not sure if that has anything to do with this but figured I would try)

Well, its unlikely that there is a bug in QuickBase.  I would got to the Access page for that table and and be sure you see that bj5ukcn42 in the URL to be sure that you are adjusting the permissions for the correct table and temporarily open up all roles to add record, and then retest.  There has to be some confusion in which table you are importing to and the role permissions.