Create a Parent Record & Child Record Simultaneously

• Question
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • Answered
I need a one step solution for adding both a parent & child record simultaneously.

I have a parent table called "Jobs" & a child table called "Worksheets." When adding a Job parent record with a specific value in a field, I need a Worksheet child record to be created & saved as well.

I understand that I can save the parent record & have a one-click button to create the child record, but I'd really prefer it be a one-step deal, as human error has a big impact on our data entry. Any suggestions, be it jquery, native, or other??

TIA -
Shami
Photo of cham0is

cham0is

• 34 Points

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Mark_Shnier

Mark_Shnier

• 570 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Here is my low tech solution.

If you make an embedded Report Link Report on your Parent record of the children, you can, in fact add a Parents ind its children on the Add Record form. Just check the FORM properties for the Report Link field and make it editable.

Now, I can't enforce that they do in fact add a child, but you can have a form rule or formula field which put up a red message reminding them (ie when they enter that specific type of parent) and if you like you can have a Notification email fire off to them triggered when a parent is saved with that specific value and the # of children is zero and you can then subscribe them to a report filtered by Created by = current user to haunt them daily and threaten bodily harm until they add that child.

Anyways, I know I'm being cute here, but its a really nice feature that you can natively Add a Parent and its children in one Save.
Photo of Dawn

Dawn

• 0 Points
I have a Support Case parent record with Activity children records.   When they click on add activity - i want it to save the Case and then move to the Activity form.     I need the form rules on both the Case and the Activity to execute.   But I just want one step.   Any ideas?