Create Automation that adds value to multi select field if it doesn't exist

• Question
  • Updated 7 days ago
  • Answered
I have a product table and a certification report table. They have a one to many relationship where products can have many certification reports. In my product table there is a field "Product certifications" that is a multi-select field. This field is populated by a list that is identical to a multiple choice field in certification report table called "certification name". So essentially "Product certifications" should be an aggregate for all the certification names in the certification report table for that specific product. I want to automate this process

I want a way to automate that for every record I add or modify in the certification reports table, I want the certification name from the record to the "Product certifications" field to add (not replace) to that field if it doesn't already exist.
Photo of Russel Ndip

Russel Ndip

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 month ago

A far better way is simply to create a Combined text summary field on the relationship to summarize up all the certification names from the child tale up to the parent.
Photo of Russel Ndip

Russel Ndip

The reason I wanted to try and avoid this method is that I need that field to still be a dynamic filter, and I've noticed that summery text fields don't have that ability.
You can make a new field  to use as a DF.
ToText([my combined Summary text field])
Photo of Russel Ndip

Russel Ndip

Thanks you! this helps!
Photo of Russel Ndip

Russel Ndip

Having done this method, the dynamic filter lists all the possible values instead of each values separately. For example 

1. US ; Mexico
2. US
3. Mexico

unlike the filter for a regular multi-select field that would just list US and Mexico separately whether or not a record had both values selected. Is there a way to fix that?
no, you would need to use the filter box to search or else search at the detail level - the child table instead.