Currently the owner of an opportunity is the only one that can actually view the opportunity in our application. Is there a way an owner of an opportunity can enable someone else on the sales team to either have view or edit access to their opportunities?
Just add a List User field to add up to 10 additional viewers called [Additional Viewers].
Then make a new formula checkbox field called [I am the owner or Additional Viewers] with a formula of
User() = [Record owner]
Includes(ToUserlist(User()), [Additional Viewers])
Then adjust your Role Permissions to have a Custom Rules based on [I am the owner or Additional Viewers] is checked.
1. Is the checkbox working as you would expect (per my description above)?
2. What is the difference between the two different formulas for the formula checkbox?
3. After adding the formula do I need to add all of the existing users to the custom rule?
4. I am in the Admin Role and everyone else is in the Account Representatives role. Do I need to create the custom rule for both?
5. When modifying my Role Permissions do I create the custom rule the same for both view and modify?
I am likely making this much more difficult than it really is.
I think I am really close but I can't quite get it to work.
A: For the Roles which are limited, they would need to have this Custom Rule added to their Role.
Q: 4. I am in the Admin Role and everyone else is in the Account Representatives role. Do I need to create the custom rule for both?
A: No; Just for the Roes whic are limited., The Admin Role needs to be able to see all records.
Q: 5. When modifying my Role Permissions do I create the custom rule the same for both view and modify?
A: The View access should be based on the Custom Rule based on this formula field. The edit rule depends on who should be allowed to edit. If all those who can view should also be able to edit, then yes, same Rule. But more likely these [Additional Viewers are not allowed to edit, so maybe it is just the [Record owner] who is allowed to edit their own records when in that Role.
User() = [Record owner] // this checks if the current user is in fact the record owner.
OR // this is "OR"
Includes([Additional Viewers],ToUserlist(User())) // this checks if the current user is in the list of Additional Viewers.
'additional viewers' -> includes -> 'the current user'
Is this correct?