Data warning when entering records into embedded grid edit form

• Question
  • Updated 1 month ago
  • In Progress
I've got a tricky problem that I want to solve:

My users frequently enter data to a child table "Child A" through an embedded grid edit report on a Parent table form. This parent table has its own parent table, which I'll call the Grandparent table. Sometimes, the data being entered into the "Child A" table through the embedded report matches data in another "Child B" table. Basically, the users need to know if there is a B record which shares a Grandparent with the new A record, and also shares a text field value. In those situations, they don't want to enter the A record. 

In those situations, they ideally want to be notified while entering the A record of the existence of the B record, like in the form of a pop-up warning. That seems really tricky, so I've also been investigating ways to, when the user attempts to save the Parent record, abort the save and notify the user of the existence of the B records. I've also been investigating having a simple message appear below the grid edit report telling the user of the B record. I haven't been able to figure out a way to implement any of these possible solutions. 

Does any of this make sense? Is there a solution? 
Photo of Alex Gale

Alex Gale

• 1,462 Points 1k badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 month ago

Evan Martinez just posted the following in an unrelated thread... could be your answer? I'll quote him:

"we did have another feature come out that could be helpful in this instance, custom data rules. Custom data rules let you use the Quick Base formula language to put rules in place on when a record shouldn't be saved, you can even put in your own error messages when this happens and they work across any type of data entry including grid edit, import, and APIs not just form rules...

I hope this is helpful and I have linked two help topics on custom data rules below.

https://help.quickbase.com/user-assistance/1/validation.html

https://help.quickbase.com/user-assistance/formulas_custom_data_rules.html?Highlight=custom%20data
"
Photo of Alex Gale

Alex Gale

• 1,462 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
That's very helpful, thank you. I'll see if there is a formula using this feature that would work.