Email Notifications Notify Whom

• Question
  • Updated 4 weeks ago
  • In Progress
  • (Edited)
Is there a way for the Notify Whom in the email notification settings to send out by

1. Email + User listed in the field;
2. User listed in the field 1 + User listed in the field 2?

eg. abc@xyz.com and [contact person]
eg. [contact manager] and [contact employee]
Photo of Ann

Ann

• 22 Points

Posted 2 years ago

I find at times its just as easy to copy a notification or reminder etc and add different contact emails. Then rename them notification1forjohn notification1forjane  etc.

If you get what I mean?
Photo of QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training

QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training, Champion

• 67,448 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
In the notify who box you can carefully type field name(s) in [square brackets], in addition to hard coded email addresses.  

I just list them vertically.  
Photo of Quincy Adam

Quincy Adam

• 304 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
If I try typing [Email] under "Notify Whom: A specific list of email addresses...", and Save, I get an error that it's not recognized as a user. Is there another way of notifying someone from a field and another specified address?

No problem, just rebuild your Notification (re-build, not COPY) and make it type - OPEN at the very top.

There is a slight chance that your Realm is not set to allow Open Notifications as a security precaution. if that is the case and you get blocked put in a support ticket and they will open you up to "Open" type  Notifications.
Photo of Quincy Adam

Quincy Adam

Hello: I am re-building like:

QB give me this error:
Photo of Quincy Adam

Quincy Adam

Also, to clarify, I want the email to go to a non-registered email address + another address. It will achieve going to the non-registered email address if I choose "The email address listed in the field: Email", but I need to add 1 more address.

While not such an informative error message, I think you are here:

There is a HIGH chance that your Realm is not set to allow Open Notifications as a security precaution. If that is the case and you get blocked put in a support ticket and they will open you up to "Open" type  Notifications.
Photo of Quincy Adam

Quincy Adam

Aha! I was seeing the open permission type in the above screenshot, so I assumed that wasn't the issue. I'll reach out to support. Thanks!

I can't explain your second comment unless the field [Email] is not a type email. but check with support as a next step to make sure your Realm is not blocked.  They tend to default all new accounts to blocking external emails.

Lemme know the outcome.  I think they have security part working as intended, but the user interface and messaging when blocked is confusing.
Photo of Quincy Adam

Quincy Adam

The [Email] field is an email type. If I were to switch Notify Whom to "The mail address listed in the field: Email" it works fine with the exception of adding an additional email address. When I try adding the field in "A specific list of email addresses..." it gives me the error. I reached out to support to ask if they can allow Open Notifications and linked to this thread. If they figure it out, I'll let you know. Thanks!
Photo of Ryan

Ryan

• 940 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
how do i change the "to whom" field? I cannot seem to change this field to send it to one of my users, i can send to myself.