Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  external links

Posted 06-29-2018 15:29
    I saw a post from 4 years ago regarding "Using an external link to open in a new tab". Has this ever been fixed? Is there any way to have a link to an external source that opens in a new tab? Thanks!

• 2.  RE: external links

Posted 07-02-2018 15:41
    Hi Jamie,

Is this to get a link in a record to open up in a new tab or is this for a link/button on a dashboard to open in a new tab? For links in a record there is an option in the field properties to 'Open Target in New Window'. Depending on the browser being used it will either open in a pop up or another tab, that behavior is dictated by the browser in this instance. 

• 3.  RE: external links

Posted 07-02-2018 17:29
    Hi Evan, thanks for getting back to me. What I need to do is to have a link in the dashboard open up in a new window. From what I read before there was no way of doing it but like I mentioned that was four years ago so I wasn't sure if some thing had been developed since. 

• 4.  RE: external links

Posted 07-03-2018 13:05
    The low tech solution is to use a text box as the dashboard element.  There is an icon to allow you to highlight some text and then turn it into a link (there is a link / chain icon to select). That will ask the question as to if the link should open in the same window or a new window.

• 5.  RE: external links

Posted 07-03-2018 13:27
    Good morning, Thank you. I created a text element but I don't see any icons that would allow me to select a link/chain. Am I missing something?

• 6.  RE: external links

Posted 07-03-2018 13:44
    Sorry, I thought you meant on a Dashboard.

if you are building your own  formula URL field, you should be able to suffix it with 

(space) target=_blank

like www.google.com target=_blank

to get it to open in a new window.

• 7.  RE: external links

Posted 07-03-2018 14:24
    I apologize, I may not have been very clear. This is on our company dashboard. Currently I have a text box with <a href="https://apps.irs.gov/app/eos"> Check Tax Exempt Status</a>. HTML (Limited) box is checked. Right now it opens in the same window which is causing problems. I tried replacing the href with just a www.apps.irs.gov/app/eos but I can't find a way to highlight that into a hyperlink.

• 8.  RE: external links

Posted 07-03-2018 14:30
    Use this:

<a target="_blank" href="https://apps.irs.gov/app/eos"> 

• 9.  RE: external links

Posted 07-03-2018 14:45
    Now I am more confused.

The screen shot that you posted was for a form and the checkbox for "HTML (Limited) box is checked" is n a form - which means that you are talking about viewing a record. 

Are you saying that the dashboard issue is not relevant as you are really just asking how to make a link on a record and those record(s) just happen to be listed on a report on your dashboard..

if so, let's dumb this down.

Make a URL formula field with your link.
    "https://apps.irs.gov/app/eos"

set the field properties to open in a new window.