Forms: Default to sections being collapsed

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
Is there a way to set up forms so that when they open, all of the sections are automatically collapsed?
Maybe a "Collapse All" button?
Thanks!
Photo of Karen

Karen

• 222 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Mark_Shnier

Mark_Shnier

• 700 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
No, the current Concept is that the each user's last use of the form sections determines how records will open up for that same table. You cant force them to be open or closed. They remember how THAT user last liked it.
Photo of Karen

Karen

• 222 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thanks Mark, but I have not found that to be the case. Even when I collapse all sections and Save, when I open the next record, all of the sections are open.
Photo of Mark_Shnier

Mark_Shnier

If that is really happening, then you should put in a Support case.  It works perfectly for me all the time.
Photo of Allen

Allen

• 0 Points
I disagree with contention that "each user should decide on their own." If an administrator needs the ability to open with forms collapsed, allow them to build that into the application. We have a lot of data that is used frequently intermixed with a lot of data that is only used occasionally. By forcing the forms to default collapse, end users can then decide which facts they need to access vs. having to go up and down a long listing.
Photo of Mark_Shnier

Mark_Shnier

Note that you can force a section open with a null section name.
Photo of Peter

Peter

• 0 Points
All the members on our team have the same issue as Karen.  Has anyone come up with a solution?
Photo of Tom_M

Tom_M, Champion

• 40 Points
If you use DanDiebolt's Image Onload TechniqueTM, you can use jQuery to cycle through all children of the div with id formContents to remove the "expanded" class and add the "collapsed" class to each child. That should collapse them all (I did not test this, just observed changes in markup between expanded and collapsed sections). Hope this helps.
Photo of Sean

Sean

• 0 Points
I wish it could!!!!!
Photo of Klaus

Klaus

• 0 Points
That is true on forms, it does not seem to be accurate for the new Dashboard. It seems to be set to "Uncollapse All" when one refreshes the page.
Photo of Ben

Ben

• 30 Points
Was this ever solved?  We are running into this issue too
Photo of Ⲇanom the ultimate (Dan Diebolt)

Ⲇanom the ultimate (Dan Diebolt), Champion

• 30,434 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Post a new question with your unique details. I am sure it can be solved with script.
Photo of Ringoparr

Ringoparr

• 854 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I don't like this at all.  Each day when i log in i have to close 20 sections.  I guess it works for the rest of the work day but i have to redo it every day... Why not add the option for a section field to default to collapse?  Seems like s simple request.
Photo of Ringoparr

Ringoparr

• 854 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
This should also work in View mode, not just edit.
Photo of Ⲇanom the ultimate (Dan Diebolt)

Ⲇanom the ultimate (Dan Diebolt), Champion

• 30,434 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Assuming you are starting with all Sections collapsed, use the IOL technique with this one line of code:

$("#formContents span.sectionTitle").trigger("click")