Forms too long to be usable

• Question
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • Answered

I manage information by projects. 90% of the time you are working within a project so going to each tab to view all tasks, contacts, etc. across projects is not useful. My project form is a mile long. What I would like to is create views within a project that are tabbed. I have toyed with buttons that would link me to the "full report" of child records with no success. I cannot get any adoption of quickbase in my company because of this issue. It is too cumbersome to scroll down to manage project data.

It seems like formula URL buttons would work but after spending many hours looking at your help Q&A's and trial/error, I have yet to get it to work.

Ideally, I would go to a project, then I would see the tabs for each project. There is definitely a need for tracking data across projects but that is a management and reporting function. Data is not entered or viewed on a day to day basis like that.

I worked worked with a customizable web-based CRM app a long-time ago. The concept was similar but obviously not as advanced as quickbase. We had the top level tabs on the left....similar to a file menu. Then after you were inside the master record of choice, all subsequent tabs (across the top) were filtered by the master record ID automatically. I understand the UI isn't setup for this but there has to be a way to mimick this functionality. Again, it is a significant hurdle to usability.

Possible solutions could be:

1) Links from a scaled down project form to alternate project forms

2) links to "full reports" of child records

Thanks!

Photo of Scott

Scott

• 0 Points

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of QuickBasePros_IDS

QuickBasePros_IDS, Champion

• 3,770 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Are you utilizing the Report Link fields created by the relationships which will embed into your Form all the child-records attached to your Project?  These can be displayed on Form Layouts as either a hyperlink or an embedded report.  The embedded report can display a custom report showing key/critical information making it easy to access records related to a Project from inside the project.  From a Table Report, you can display the Report Link fields and automatically open up a report showing all Child-Records for a Project, or even create a summary field to count the number of records, making it easy to see which Projects have zero, versus one or more child records; and use those links to access the child-records.

If you are trying to access child records from more than one Project, you should be running your reports in those Child-Tables and grouping by Project to access data much more easily.
Photo of Scott

Scott

• 0 Points
Thanks.  This helps.  I didn't realize there was the "display link" option on the form instead of the embed.  I can display links to the child records and put those on top which saves me real estate for Project info and summary info from child records.  This should satisfy my needs.  Would be nice to make them buttons though...

Thanks!

Personally, I recommend creating summary fields to COUNT the number of child records; so users can see if there are zero records or some; avoiding wasting time clicking on the link.  It will do the exact same thing as the built-in Report Link field that is created automatically as part of a relationship.
Photo of Mark_Shnier

Mark_Shnier

• 510 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Just to chime in here, if you have that summary count field you may want to have a form rule to hide a link or an embedded report which will have no records.

Mark - yes I have found that to be a nice cleanup-method to keep a Form neat and tidy!
Photo of Scott

Scott

• 0 Points
Thanks all for your help.  This keeps me moving in the right direction.