formula not calculating the total until after saving the record

• Question
  • Updated 6 months ago
  • Answered
See pic below. I created three fields that will calculate the final total into the field "contract monthly term total".  This field is a currency-formula type. it doesn't show the total until after i click save.  As you see, there isn't a total even though i put in numbers for the other fields.  The amount sold field are currency type and the contract term is numeric. The formula is [Contract Term]*[Contract Monthly Amount Sold]+[Contract One-Time Amount Sold]. Is there a way to make it show the total before saving the ticket?  Thank you.
Photo of Shane Selasky

Shane Selasky

• 446 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of Everett Patterson

Everett Patterson

• 996 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Try hitting Tab on the keyboard after you enter all values, does it calculate for you then?

(Edited)
Photo of Shane Selasky

Shane Selasky

• 382 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
No. it didn't work.  i tried hitting tab and clicking into another field and it still didn't calculate it.
Photo of Shane Selasky

Shane Selasky

How did you create your field?  Mine is a currency - formula.  The field you did looks like it is a text field. 
Photo of Everett Patterson

Everett Patterson

• 996 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
It's a numeric - formula, you can change the field settings to display it as a Simple Number or Currency
Photo of Shane Selasky

Shane Selasky

ok. this is working. i changed it to numeric formula and then change the field setting to currency and the total is calculating immediately.
You have to tab out of the field for it to recalculate. Same as Excel that way.
Photo of Shane Selasky

Shane Selasky

That didn't work.  I tried to tab and click into another field in this table and it still didn't calculate
If you like you can contact me via the info in my website QuickBaseCoach.com and I will have a look at no cost as I am curious myself why such a simple formula does not calculate on the form. 

Or else put in a support ticket.
Photo of Shane Selasky

Shane Selasky

thanks for your help.  i created a new field and made it numeric formula then changed the field setting to currency and now it is calculating immediately.
weird, but sometimes we just find a solution and move on.