Has anyone found a workaround for making predecessor tasks more manageable?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered

I love the idea of assigning a predecessor to a task. However, it is sooo very annoying that when you choose a predecessor you have to choose from a list of every task record that has ever been entered in the system for every project. I know there's no straightforward way to only choose from a list of tasks for the related project. However, I know there are some very smart people that linger around these boards who are notorious for great workarounds :) Just wondering if anyone has found a better way. Thanks in advance.

Photo of Tara

Tara

• 10 Points

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Leanne

Leanne

• 282 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Hopefully these little tricks will help you!

If it is a single field that you need to update and you know the number of the predecessor - just type it in the box. You do not need to click on the record finder and go through the whole list.

If you are working on a timeline and want to update many tasks, the best way to do that is to create your list, click "apply changes" so they all have record ID numbers, and then copy that entire Record ID column. Paste it one row down in the Predecessor column. This way, it will pick up the record ID # from the previous task, all the way down the list. Here is an example of what it would look like:

Record ID - Pred.

1 - <blank>

2 - 1

3 - 2

4 - 3
Photo of Bhaskaran

Bhaskaran

• 0 Points
Hello Tara, I'm facing a similar need as what you have described. Its been 11 months since you posted this question. Just curious..  did you get any solutions/workaround for the question you asked?
Photo of QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training

QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training, Champion

• 62,924 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Most clients I work with either copy projects with their child tasks or I have set up import buttons to import standard tasks by project type. Hence they are not choosing random tasks off a long list. Have you considered standarzing your task lists?