Help with my first webhook. I am trying to create a webhook that will edit records in one table that is associated with a record in another table.

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
I've tried looking in API and can't seem to find the details I need.   SO I have a build table and a task table.   I associate tasks to builds.   I can see the tasks in my build record using an embeded report.   What I want to do is this.  When I change the status of the build record to "deployed" I want to update the status of the tasks associated to that build to "ready to test".   Any help is greatly appreciated
Photo of Johnny QuickBase

Johnny QuickBase

• 300 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of QuickBasePros_IDS

QuickBasePros_IDS, Champion

• 4,516 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
You would probably be better to use a Lookup field combined with a formula-field in your Tasks rather than trying to use a Webhook for this.  There's a limit of 5 Webhooks for a single table; so you need to use them wisely.  It's easy to try to overcomplicate things in QuickBase when a new feature is released.

Johnny QuickBase

Thank you for the feedback!!  
Would it count as a Webhook against each table?  I was trying to create the Webhook from my Build table.  It would be the only Webhook I'd probably use for this as it's basically a tracking table.

I've also heard of people adding a button to update how I want to.

Johnny QuickBase

Sorry I do have a question about the lookup field and formua field to do this.  Wouldn't it only trigger the change if I happen to "edit" that task?
Photo of QuickBasePros_IDS

QuickBasePros_IDS, Champion

• 4,516 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
In writing my response, I got to thinking about the experience I have with other QuickBase customers who use task-tracking.  I think it would be helpful to discuss the options and see which option is right for you.  You can reach me by looking at my profile to find my phone #.