How can I flag an object any time a field equals a certain value so the object stays tagged even after the field changes value?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered

I have a table [Samples] and every Sample has a calculated field Sample Status. There is also a field called Location and another field called Exception. 

If Location = null and Exception = "Not Used" then the Sample Status = "Late".

Once the Sample is given a Location the Sample Status changes to a new status and I can no longer track which samples where late. Is there a way to create an attribute that would flag a Sample if it ever has a Sample Status = "Late" that I can reference this info even after the Sample Status is no longer late?

Photo of Nicholas

Nicholas

• 0 Points

Posted 3 years ago

Try this

Create a multiple choice field called [Sample was Late] with choices of Yes / No. Set the field Properties to "Log the edits to this field, and show them on forms"

Make a form rule

When the record is saved

and all of the following are true

Location equals (blank) (ie just leave that empty

Exception = Not Used

Change the value of [Sample was Late] to Yes
Photo of Nicholas

Nicholas

• 0 Points
Thanks for the help. Wish it would log changes saved in grid edit though...
The only other option would be to log the changes to those input fields using the Feature in Field Properties to log changes.  Then you would have other fields to parse out the most current values for those fields to be used in reports.  Then you would have the history of each update calculated and could write a formula to detect previous values for those fields.
Photo of Nicholas

Nicholas

• 0 Points
Thanks!