How do I add an app to a group?

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Answered
When I click "Add" from the list of apps I'm taken to My Apps page. Then what? 

From "My Apps", I click on "Manage my billing account" > Manage Billing Account Summary tab > Groups > "The name of the group" > List Applications Accessible to this Group > Select 'Search for text in the name or description of an application' and I search for "The name of my app" > Search > Select 'Add' in Search Results > taken back to "My Apps" page.

It's like a circle. Everything in the instructions about adding an app to a group is correct right up to select 'Add' in Search Results, which takes me back to "My Apps" page and the app is not added to my group.

Photo of Jim

Jim

• 62 Points

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training

QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training, Champion

• 67,278 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Are you trying to invite a group to use the app?  If so go to Users icon, then the green Invite button and then start typing the name of the group until you see it  and invite the group.  Let me know if it solve your question.
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 62 Points
No, and here is the path I take that leads up to my question.
Manage Billing Account Summary tab > Groups > "Group Name" > List Applications Accessible to this Group > Select 'Search for text in the name or description of an application' and I search for "My App Title" > Search > Select 'Add' in Search Results > taken back to My Apps page.

Well, now I no longer understanding your question.  Can you explain what you are trying to accomplish?  You question was "How do I add an app to a group".  I'm not understanding the question.
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 62 Points
I am trying to add an app to "My Group Title."

Sorry, I don't know what "My Group Title" is.  Can you get a screen shot and post it to your original question and then comment so we know that you have done that?
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 62 Points
Screen shots attached. I'm sorry if my vocabulary doesn't jive with what I'm describing or wanting.

Wow, we definitely have a terminology problem.  

A group is a collection of Users. Typically this might be like mycompany.all.managers as a name.  Then when you want to grant access to an app you do not need to list every manager, you just give the group access.

You are talking about what appears on your My Apps page. When you are on your my apps page there is a box called category.  You can make your own personal categories if you like.  Some people at least do a category called "favorites" and then each app is either in our out of your favorites.  So then you can filer to just show your favorite Apps which would be a shorter list.
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 62 Points
I appreciate your time.
Photo of Rob White IV

Rob White IV

• 1,070 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Hi Jim, 

I'm sure you've found your answer by now, but I'd like to pontificate a bit, in case it helps new users, like myself from 45 min ago.  

It seems that 'groups' are not intended to have or manage permissions, but only exist in order to group 'users' for easy role assignments.  This may seem obvious once said out loud, but not to those of us used to other softwares' ACM systems, in which you set up group permissions, then alter those with individual permissions.

So, you never actually add groups to an app in order to enforce permissions, but rather users to a role.  Groups only assist in facilitating the process of adding users to a role by allowing you to add several users to a role all at once, via the group.  (Click add user, then search for and add your group to add multiple users)  

Further, access to your QuickBase app is only restricted by roles, which users can belong too.  Also, order matters..  If you have a user that has multiple roles, the top role literally trumps the one beneath it, so you have to plan your 'role-stacking' appropriately.  

To me, this seems bad.  But, I dunno.  Once I'm used to it, maybe I'll better understand what is going on and enjoy it.  I'm starting to think that my app design is flawed in QuickBase; and that QuickBase really wants me to plan my work in a more modular way.  Like the world of the internet, we developers are trending towards the idea of microservices, which may be the solution here.  

No more robust and all-encompassing solutions, but rather small apps managing tiny concerns and authentication schemes that are able to be stacked into larger and more meaningful things.  I may be wrong because I'm fairly new to all this and have a lot more to read / watch (unfortunately), but this is my understanding as of now.  

I hope it helps,

Rob

Rob, I want to just correct one thing that you said above. When it comes to actual permissions of what a users can view and modify and permissions to add and delete, QuickBase will give the most permission as possible when a user is in multiple roles.

The area of QuickBase where the sequence matters is for example which user interface they experience, such as which dashboard and whether or not they see certain Table icons. Since a user can only land on one Dashboard, QuickBase decides that by the sequence of the Roles.
Photo of Rob White IV

Rob White IV

• 1,070 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Thanks for the clarification.  

This is off-topic, but I would like to learn about QuickBase app architecture, i.e. - the best way to orchestrate small apps into a complex group of applications.  Assuming this is the direction I should be working toward in your opinion, can you provide me some convenient links to content that might help me out?  Or should I create a new topic?

Thanks,

~Rob 

It's probably best as a new topic as there is no right answer, but rather factors to consider based on your situation.
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 62 Points
Yep. I sure did find an answer, Here's what you do:
  1. Create a group
  2. Add users to the group
  3. Go to the app you want share with that group
  4. Invite that group > "Share app with new user"
  5. Type the name of that group in the search field
  6. Send (notify optional)
Photo of Meredith Moore

Meredith Moore

• 556 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I tried your steps above but it does not seem to be opening anything when I click on List accessible applications. I am having some serious access problems all of a sudden. Hoping this is a fix. Not sure what is going on.
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 62 Points
Correct. Nothing will happen when you click on list of accessible applications because it will just display information. After the group is in (invited) the app, the app will show in the list of accessible applications.
Photo of Meredith Moore

Meredith Moore

Ok I just can't figure out how to do that. I thought I followed all of the instructions but now I am at a loss.
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 62 Points
Invite to an app, is that what you're asking? Go to the app > Users list > Click on Share app with new user > search for the group by typing in the name.
Photo of Meredith Moore

Meredith Moore

All of these people are already on the app. I don't need to invite them. 
Photo of Meredith Moore

Meredith Moore

Also I keep getting Don't have permission for users for the Home Page. Just started today. No idea what is going on. Guess it is with the group settings? 
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 62 Points
That's where you're stuck. Contact the app manager.
Photo of Meredith Moore

Meredith Moore

I am the app manager.
Photo of Meredith Moore

Meredith Moore

It is when I am in other roles, and when others log on. That is what they get. I am getting requests out the butt.
Photo of Meredith Moore

Meredith Moore

Photo of Meredith Moore

Meredith Moore

I keep getting this for different roles. I am at a loss on how to fix it.
Photo of Meredith Moore

Meredith Moore

I think I may need an expert for this.

• 67,348 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
You can contact support.  Or I do Quick Base coaching.  QuickBaseCoach.com
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 62 Points
Yes, please. This is going off-topic now. I hope you get it figured out. Good luck.
Photo of Jim Harrison

Jim Harrison

• 1,926 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
This comment is three years old and there still isn't any documentation in the online help on how to add a Group to an App. One suspects the technical writes were all forced to walk the plank for demanding too much soup. 

Jim,
I'm not sure what exactly your question is, but to add a Group to an App, you just go to
  • Users
  • Share App with New User
  • Click the Book icon to the left of the input box
  • Set the drop down to Groups and you will see a list of all groups that you have access to see.
  • Search for your group and click it to drop it down to be selected, and the continue and select a Role to slot that Group into.
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 62 Points
Thank you. I figured it out years ago and it is exactly a you indicate with the 5 bullets.
Photo of Jim Harrison

Jim Harrison

• 1,926 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Coach - You're right but it's still not in the documentation. How long did it take to type that? I'm not asking a question, I'm making a point that the documentation is failing to keep up with the Application.

Here's what I have so far, hope it helps others.
  • App creators can make Groups
  • Use for granting Access, Permissions & Notifications
  • Adding users to a group doesn't Invite them to the app, you have to tell them by sending a link
  • Adding a group to a notification, Browse Users, Select Group Name, user names appear and can be added individually. Still have to manage manually, no real benefit.
  • You can provision users before they register
  • Reading the Help it is not apparent how to add an App to the group. Turns out you invite the group to the App. The role is assigned when you add group to App.
  • Administrative Assistant Group - Administrative Assistant Role
  • Administrator Group - Administrator Role 
  • Create one Group per Role, add users to the group, this adds user to all Apps where group exists, instead of inviting user to each app one at a time.
Next Steps:
  • Define roles
  • Use API to Add, Modify or Delete roles in App
  • Write script for each Role
(Edited)