How do I change text in a table to another color?

• Question
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • Answered
I want to make our apps all consistent. In the attached worksheet some companies show up in Red and others in Black. I want to make them all black. Where do I go to do that? I checked in the text field of the table, but there was nothing to choose from.
Photo of bobbereyglasgow

bobbereyglasgow

• 0 Points

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Mark_Shnier

Mark_Shnier

• 700 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
When entries appear in red, that is QuickBase trying to tell you that it is not happy. Generally that means it's an entry in a multiple choice field and somehow the data in that field is not one of the valid choices.
Photo of Chris

Chris

• 0 Points
I also would like to control the red text.  I have a multiple choice field where the user can add choices but at some point I want to clean up or remove those added choices without it affecting the color of the text on a report where one of those choices was used.
Photo of Mark_Shnier

Mark_Shnier

I would make a new table of valid choices and then make a relationship to that table to get the choices.  (make a copy of your app first, in case you mess up). Make a summary report to capture all the current choices and load up that table, but also have say a checkbox field to flag the choices which are "active".  Then  make a report which will be your drop down choices for the form where this field is used and use that report to control the choices being offered  (that is a Form Property as to the report to use for the drop down choices).
Photo of Chris

Chris

• 0 Points
Hi Mark:

Thank you for taking the time to respond.  Let me explain my dilemma.

I need to produce a report that shows Type of Activity in one of the columns and Description of the Activity in another column.  I originally had it set up as you said, in a separate table (which it still is in).  I had it so if you selected a certain type of activity, it would generate the description in the description field. The reason I set it up like this is that the descriptions are lengthy and need to be very detailed.

The problem is that although most of the Types of Activities  are repeated over and over, there are 10 or 12 out of about 20 types that necessitate a unique description, depending on what was done.  I realized I couldn't edit the description field the way I had it set up.

Then, I made it so that the Description Field is a multiple choice but allows new choices and connected it to the same table as before.  Now, as you enter data, you choose an Activity from a multiple choice list, then when you go to the Description Field, you choose the Description that matches that Activity.  If you choose an Activity that needs a unique description, when you get to the Description Field you can select "add a new choice" and this allows the User to enter whatever they want in the Description Field.  It's a little hokey but it is the only way i could find a way to list both types  of activity descriptions (automatically generated and user generated) in the same column on Reports, which makes the report easier to read and saves valuable space on the report. The report is used to show work done and to get paid for that work so it is important that the descriptions are detailed.  The new user-generated description get stored in the drop down choices but they are at the end of the list and I just figured I would periodically delete them to clean up the list.  Deleting them doesn't change any previously entered Activities Data but it does cause the Description on those previously entries to show up in Red on the Report, which isn't desirable.

I hope you understand my dilemma and appreciate any feedback from you or anyone else out there.
Photo of Mark_Shnier

Mark_Shnier

So my suggestion is to have a Description override field.  The user can choose from a drop down list  and you would cull that list down to just the standard ones. Do not let user add to the list.   The last choice could be "Other" and when that is chosen, then an override description field would appear on the form by a form rule and be required.

(ie when Description choice is OTHER then SHOW additional description field and REQUIRE additional description field.)

Then have a  formula field called [Description Final] which would be a formula field that says

IF([Description override]<>"" ,[Description Override], [Standard Description]) and use that calculated field on all reports and all forms in VIEW mode.
Photo of Chris

Chris

• 0 Points
Hi Mark.  I am trying your approach but having trouble writing the formula.  This is all new to me so please bear with me.

I did as you said and created an additional choice called OTHER and took away the option of allowing users to enter new choices.  I also created a new description field called "Description of Services" so that now if someone picks OTHER in the  Description Field, the Description of Services Field appears to enter data.  I also created a Field called Description Final and made it a Formula Text Field.

Now come the newbie questions.

When writing a formula can I just write it out or do I need to go to the right side margin and pick from the choices of Fields and Functions?

Was I supposed to substitute "Description Override" with something else since that isn't in that dropdown list to the right?

When I wrote the formula out as you described I got a syntax error with the last field in underlined.

Thank you so much for your help on this.
Photo of Mark_Shnier

Mark_Shnier

Yes, so you will need to create a new field called Description Override and then it will be able to be used in a formula.  You can hand type the field names and put them in [Square Brackets], or you can choose them off the list.  If you like, contact me via the link on my profile and i can do a GoToMeeting just to get you on the right track.

The syntax for a Quickbase formula field is similar to Excel, but instead of referring to cells like +A1, you refer to field names in square brackets.
Photo of Ⲇanom the ultimate (Dan Diebolt)

Ⲇanom the ultimate (Dan Diebolt), Champion

• 30,434 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Just change all the red fonts to black:

$("font[color=red]").attr("color","black");

Yes it is hokey but then QuickBase is actually generating a <font> tag to color the element in the first place. The <font> tag has been severely unpopular for years and officially deprecated in HTML5:

http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_font.asp

I am not really criticizing this situation but rather pointing out that there is a lot of cruft on the old QuickBase that has to get remove incrementally. So despite the travails of converting to the new UX it is a necessary change. Someday QuickBase will be naively using HTML5 input elements, grid layouts, and all sort of advanced features and libraries and the questions people ask will operate at much higher level such as how to string workflows together.
Photo of Chris

Chris

• 0 Points
Mark I did it!  I'm so excited that I could figure it out, even if it took me awhile.  I used the formula: If([Description Flat Fee]="OTHER",[Description Hourly], [Description Flat Fee]) and it worked!!!!!

Thank you so much.
Photo of Mark_Shnier

Mark_Shnier

Clearly you are your way to great success with QuickBase.  The early morning fog will lift and you will be able to see for miles and miles.