How do I create a rate-driven chart?

  • 0
  • 1
  • Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered

Okay, so... I am trying to create a few charts. And I have a few fields: (1) Name, (2)Gender, (3)Start Date, (4)Classroom

First chart I hope to create basically shows per classroom as 1. Then divides into two sections of gender. Then give a rate of gender in each classroom. So if we have 4 female students out of 20 students, chart should show a small pie slice of 20%. Then the rest would, obviously be the other 80%. I believe I need to make a formula, but did not know what to put down there. So as we click through classroom lists on the left side, as it would default to, pie chart would change pertaining to the gender difference in that class.

Second chart I wish to create is basically a graph chart that shows a list of all classrooms, and rate of female students in each class. So I can easily tell overall of which classrooms have less female rate.

Photo of Ja

Ja

  • 0 Points

Posted 3 years ago

  • 0
  • 1
Photo of Ⲇanom the ultimate (Dan Diebolt)

Ⲇanom the ultimate (Dan Diebolt), Champion

  • 30,064 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
The ideal solution would be to use a TreeMap chart which will give you a visual indication of the distribution of student demographics in your class rooms. TreeMaps are an underutilized management tool as the roll up hierarchical data into a compact visualization that can be drilled into for details if needed. Unfortunately QuickBase does not support TreeMaps although they are a standard feature of the HighChart package QuickBase uses internally to generate their charts. See these TreeMap examples from the HighCharts demo gallery:


http://www.highcharts.com/demo/treemap-coloraxis

http://www.highcharts.com/demo/treemap-with-levels

http://www.highcharts.com/demo/treemap-large-dataset

You can however create your own TreeMap using the QuickBase API and script. Here is an example I create a while ago:

https://quickbase-community.intuit.com/questions/1322418-i-would-like-to-add-a-highcharts-tree-chart...

If you need further help feel free to contact me off-world using the information in my profile.
Photo of QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training

QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training, Champion

  • 65,806 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
For the pie chart you should be able to make a simple Pie chart with no formuals.

The series would be the gender field and the # of students.

If you had a Dynamic filter of the Classroom, then as you choose a filer, you would just see each class separately.
Photo of QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training

QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training, Champion

  • 65,806 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
For the All Classrooms chart, you can have a stacked bar chart.  

The X axis would be the classroom, the Y axis would be the number of students and the series would be the gender.  that should give you a visualization, but not the Percentage split.  

But, to get the percentage split, I think that you may have to run a regular (not stacked) bar chart off the classrooms table after having made a summary field for the total girls, and total boys and then calculate the % boys of the total students for that classroom.

Then the chart would be a bar chart f with the X axis being the classroom name and the values being the % of boys.