How do I hide the import/export button for users in certain roles?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
Photo of Deb

Deb

• 4 Points

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Jared

Jared

• 0 Points
Hi Deb,

Thanks for the Question.

You can give or take away the ability to import/export for all users that are not admins.

Please see the link to the video below as reference.

http://screencast.com/t/01YpSdTk8ZRm

1.) Click the icon for the Home page
2.) Click on App Properties
3.) Scroll down to the advanced Options section
4.) Check/Uncheck the box for "Allow users who are not administrators to export data"
Photo of Jon

Jon

• 0 Points
Thanks for your response.  I was aware of this feature.  My problem is this: I have certain users that are not administrators that I want to allow import/export, while I do not want other users that are also not administrators the ability to import/export.
Photo of Jared

Jared

• 0 Points
Hi Jon,

You could accomplish this by creating a separate role for the user, then adjusting the option for importing/exporting and Grid Edit for the Role.

To adjust the permissions for the role:

1.) Click the Users Icon
2.) Click Manage Roles in the Upper, Right corner
3.) Click on the User Interface Tab
4.) Check the checkbox for "Hide Multi-Record Options" according to what tables you want to remove this option for.
5.) Click Exit Settings

* If you do test the role after adjusting the setting, you will see that the option for Import/Export is still available in the More button, but this functionality will have been turned off, along with the Grid Edit button being removed.
Photo of Deb

Deb

• 4 Points
So the answer is, there is no way to remove the ability to import/export without also taking away the "grid edit" feature.  Is that correct?
Photo of Kathleen

Kathleen

• 0 Points
You are correct.  I experimented with this.  The "Import/Export" icon does go away now.  I note this exchange was 2 years ago between you and Jon.  Need to be able to allow grid edit feature independently from allowing someone to import a boatload of bad data.
Photo of Justin

Justin

• 248 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Grid edit and Import/Export should be separate options... doesn't make sense to join them into one option.