How do i send specific data from quickbase to a third party software

• Question
  • Updated 7 years ago
  • Answered
I need to send specific data from quickbase to another software, but i dont know what options quickbase has to send data out, coz to recieve data it has an api which can be used. What are my options , convert the data to xml and than send, use php, or is this all possible.
Help will be much appreciated.
Thank You.
Photo of Azh7

Azh7

• 30 Points

Posted 7 years ago

Photo of QuickBasePros (Laura Thacker)

QuickBasePros (Laura Thacker), Champion

• 6,396 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Are you doing a one-time transfer, or regular transfer of data?
Photo of Azh7

Azh7

• 30 Points
Regular transfer of data
Photo of dwhawe

dwhawe, Champion

• 908 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
It would depend on the destination.
I use QuNect (QuNect.com) which gives me an ODBC connection to QuickBase.
There are SDK packages available if you search for them for PHP, Ruby, Perl, etc.
Photo of Ⲇanom the ultimate (Dan Diebolt)

Ⲇanom the ultimate (Dan Diebolt), Champion

• 30,434 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
You would use the QuickBase API to extract data from tables. This data will generally be returned in an XML format unique to QuickBase. You then reformat the data to the format required by your third party API. If the third party was using SOAP for example you write code to take XML from QuickBase and make SOAP requests. The details depend on what language you are using, how frequently you want to perform the updates and authentication etc. Almost any language can be used that supports HTTP network requests.
Photo of Azh7

Azh7

• 30 Points
Extracting data in XML format using QuickBase API would be helpful. How do i do that?

From within a browser you can use jQuery and extract data from the XML response the API returns using CSS selectors. From a server you extract data from the XML response using whatever language, XML parser and selection mechanism the web server language you are using supports. You question is to broad for a more detailed answer.
Photo of Azh7

Azh7

• 30 Points
First i need to know how to trigger the QuickBase API to send an xml response. Can you help me with that please.
Photo of Azh7

Azh7

• 30 Points
Hi, dandienolt_QB_Pirate, any more suggestions ??

Sorry but I don't think you are providing enough information or you are asking too broad of a question on fundamental programming issues. The options you have largely depend on what third party software you are trying to integrate with.
Photo of Azh7

Azh7

• 30 Points
The third party software is a billing system, so i want know whether quickbase can be integrated with the web services of this software. If yes, than how do i do that?
Thanks.
Photo of Azh7

Azh7

• 30 Points
Rephrasing my question: Does QuickBase provide a way to make API calls to other web services?

All web based APIs use HTTP (HyperText Transfer Protocol) to access their web services. This statement applies to using  the QuickBase API, your third party billing system's API, and every other web service's API.  So from anywhere you can make a HTTP request you can access a web service;'s API. You can make these HTTP requests from browser, a server side language or from a program running on a desktop. Today every server side language (ASP, PHP, Java ...), and programming or scripting language (Ruby, Python ...) has either the native capability or a library to make HTTP requests. If the HTTP requests are made using a browser there is a restriction placed on accessing  the methods and properties of content obtained from a different domain unless the data is in a very specific format or the servers have been configured to allow cross domain access. If you want to access your third party billing API from links or scripts that are saved within QuickBase your external API has to return its data in a format called JSON-P. If this is not the case you will have to proxy results through a server you control. So you have to inquire if your billing application has an API that returns data in JSON-P format. If that is not the case you will have to use a server you control to mediate data access between QuickBases's API and the billing application's API.
Photo of Azh7

Azh7

• 30 Points
Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate it.
Just want to know one more thing,  If we want to call an API outside web service (HTTP or HTTPS in SOAP), how do we make such call from QuickBase?

I think you need a developer to help you address this problem. Feel free to contact me off line.

Here is a simple example of accessing the recently released Google Civic API from within QuickBase:

Google Civic
https://www.quickbase.com/db/bhjxchb7z

The two links at the top will call Civic and return responses in JSON and JSON-P format in new windows. The next link will open a page hosted within QuickBase containing one of the examples from Google Civic's docs and display results. The textarea displays the response of a API call to Civic using jQuery's $.getJSON() method.

Now my examples does not do anything useful other than demonstrate how to access data from an external API that returns JSON-P. This is how you can do mashup with QuickBase using APIs that returns data in JSON-P format.

Pastie Database
https://www.quickbase.com/db/bgcwm2m4g?a=dr&rid=187

Again, contact me off line if you need help beyond this example.
Photo of Azh7

Azh7

• 30 Points
Thank You. If i need help i will contact you offline.