How to check which reports should be deleted?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered

I am trying to clean up some of the extra reports that are in our database.  I see that in the report listings, there are "Last Used" and "Used Count" fields. These seem like great tools to figure out what isn't being used, but I'm not sure I can trust these.  It looks like if a report is embedded on a dashboard page, the view count will not increase at all. 

Is there any other way to verify which reports are being used, and which could be cleaned up? Even if that is starting to track usage now, and looking at this again in a few weeks?

Photo of Phil

Phil

• 0 Points

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of QuickBasePros (Laura Thacker)

QuickBasePros (Laura Thacker), Champion

• 5,590 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
A good rule of thumb when developing an App or managing one is to properly label Reports and group them into Report Groups making sure the right Users can see reports.

For instance, reports used as "embedded reports" in my apps are always labelled "Embedded Report for XXX Table" so I know that it is used somewhere.

Another technique I use is for Dashboard reports - often we have dashboards which link to other dashboards which host reports or host links to reports.  Because there's a habit of some Admin users changing these reports via filters and accidentally saving over them; I've started creating a separate set of "Dashboard XX - XYZ Report Name".  The XX refers to the ID of the Dashboard the Report is being used on/referenced from; so I can more easily find out which report needs updating.  If you notice, on Dashboards now, QuickBase doesn't immediately point you to the report in the list when you go to set/change the Report.

Lastly, for reports you think ARENT being used anymore; but you're afraid to delete; edit who can see them to only the Administrator/your role (or a new role), and move them into a "Delete Reports" group.  Then when you start getting complaints that people can't find reports they used to, you can simply move them back into the right report grouping and give their role access.  If after a period of time you get no phone calls; then you will be able to easily find the reports in the Reports area, organized by group and delete them.