how to create a tracking field

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered

I need a way to track when a previous set date have changed  and who changed the date

Photo of Shontay

Shontay

• 490 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training

QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training, Champion

• 65,422 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
If you are sure that this date would only be changed on a form and never using Grid edit, you can use Form Rules.

Set up a field called [Date Logging] as a text field with "Log the edits to this field" enabled.

Then

Mave a Form Rule that says

When the record is saved

and the value in the field [My Date Field] has been changed

Change the value in the field [Date Logging] to the value in the field [My Date Field]
Photo of Shontay

Shontay

If someone do an import will the changes get logged

No, they would not be logged using this method, unless you also imported the same date field also into the logging field.
Photo of Shontay

Shontay

Thanks, Now that I have the field working properly, I only want the logging information to appear in the field if the field is not null, can you tell me what is wrong with my formula, (Previous Due Date- Date Modified show if the tracker date field is null)

If(not(IsNull([SITE_DUE_DATE_TRACKER_1])),
List(" - ","Previous Due Date",ToText([SITE_DUE_DATE_TRACKER]), "Date Modified:",[SITE_DUE_DATE_TRACKER_1],null))

Try this as the IsNull is documented that is is not meant to be used on text fields.

If(Trim([SITE_DUE_DATE_TRACKER_1])<>"",
List(" - ","Previous Due Date",ToText([SITE_DUE_DATE_TRACKER]), "Date Modified:",[SITE_DUE_DATE_TRACKER_1])