How to Detect a Non-Specific Field Change?

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered

I’m looking for a way to reset one field [Attempts] when a second field [Tracker] changes (to any non-zero value.)

In the world, we allow up to three phone contact attempts to reach a customer. If we don’t reach by the third contact, we stop trying.

However, if the customer takes an action related to our contact attempts we increment a field called Tracker. Whenever Tracker is incremented, Attempts is zeroed out and we have another three contact attempts.

If / When the Tracker reaches 3 we stop all effort for this person.

If possible, I would like to use a Form Rule to do this.

I do not know what value is currently in the Tracker field, and for resetting the Attempts counter, it does not matter. Any change to Tracker results in a reset of Attempts counter.

In other words:

If [Tracker] changes (from anything, to anything)

then set [Attempts] to zero

QuickBase provides an option like this to trigger an e-mail notification, but I can’t see how to replicate it with a Form Rule. (See attached Screen Shot for the e-mail Notification logic choices that send me an e-mail anytime I would want to reset the Attempts Counter.)

Also, the resulting e-mails tell me what I’m looking for. The e-mails contain this line (from multiple examples):

· Failure Counter changed from 0 to 1

· Failure Counter changed from 1 to 2

I thank you in advance for your assistance.

- David in Tucson

Photo of David_In_Tucson

David_In_Tucson

• 206 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Xavier Fan

Xavier Fan, Champion

• 340 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
You can do it this way:

- add a new Numeric field [Tracker - Previous Value]

- initialize this to be the same as [Tracker]

- add 2 Form Rules:

1) When Record is saved, set [Tracker - Previous Value] = [Tracker]

2) When [Tracker] <> [Tracker - Previous Value], set [Attempts] to 0

I've created an example app in QuickBase Exchange to illustrate:

In the Example category, called - "Example: Form Rule to Track Field Change"

https://www.quickbase.com/db/main?a=AppDetail&ID=1091
hey xavier..when you create these links to exchange, instead of using your custom URL, always use https://www.quickbase.com/db/main?<theresthere&gt;. This will ensure that anyone will be able to follow the link back to exchange. So for this app the correct link would be:

https://www.quickbase.com/db/main?a=AppDetail&ID=1091

You only need to link up to the ID like shown here.

Thanks for submitting to Exchange! This is a great way to help others solve problems!
Photo of David_In_Tucson

David_In_Tucson

Thank you Xavier!

I did this test with my test QuickBase App and it worked.  Thank you!

(The link would not let me in as I am not a user in your QuickBase.)

- David in Tucson
Photo of Xavier Fan

Xavier Fan, Champion

• 340 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Thanks - was just trying out the process.  It's great that the app got approved quickly, so that we can put it in these answers.  Have edited the link to point to Exchange.
Photo of David_In_Tucson

David_In_Tucson

Hello Xavier and Phil,

When I click on the revised links above, it takes me to a screen that wants me to create a new account.  It does not seem to recognize that I am already a user.

Thanks,

David
Hey Guys - sorry for this - I'm looking into why (I was sure this was the right approach) as I just had the same experience when I tested it. I'm digging in and will post a revised statement here once I get the answer.  

Thanks for your patience!
Hello - I believe the nuance here is that we are all registered users on www.quickbase.com.  For most QuickBase users this will NOT be the case and they will be directed appropriately. - but for intuit employees and partners, they would have to log into the actual www.quickbase account.  

Xavier - to be sure anyone can get it, It would probably make sense just to also tell folks they can get to Exchange from the My Apps page if they have access to it (some admins turn it off).  From there, they can go to the examples category, or also search for "Xavier". That should also bring it up.  Hopefully in the future we might be able to provide a better cross-linking capability that is fool proof :)

Again - for 99% of users leveraging community, using the link that in the format I provided should work.

Best,

Pihl