How to get a Lookup Field to Auto-populate when you import into the Related Field

  • 0
  • 1
  • Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
I have a very large table where I am constantly importing new data. I have a relationship setup where I import into the "Related Parent" field. I have a lookup field setup but it's not populating with data when I do an import. It'll pull the lookup field data when I manually select the "Related Parent" record. I have 3,481 entries where I need to fix this error. Any idea how? 

Thanks in advance! 
Photo of Dana

Dana

  • 532 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

  • 0
  • 1
Photo of Chris

Chris, Champion

  • 4,390 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Hi Dana,
You indicate that you're importing new data, and are also importing into "Related Parent". Since it's lookup fields that are not populating, perhaps those parent records do not exist yet(?) See if the Related Parent ID # is the Record ID# in the parent table.
Photo of Dana

Dana

  • 532 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
They do exist, the links work and are tied back to the parent perfectly. If I edit the child record by manually selecting the parent, it will populate the lookup field. 
Photo of Chris

Chris, Champion

  • 4,390 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
If you have the Related Parent ID# and its proxy field both on your child form, that may be the culprit. Try having only one or the other but not both on the child form.
(Edited)
Photo of Ⲇanom the ultimate (Dan Diebolt)

Ⲇanom the ultimate (Dan Diebolt), Champion

  • 26,442 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I am not certain (1) how you are importing your data or (2) where a lookup field "is not populating" but what you might do is run a query after the import to display those records where [Date Modified] is equal to today (include the lookup and related parent fields in the query). Then check if this cures the problem and let us know.
(Edited)
Photo of Dana

Dana

  • 532 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I realized what I did wrong. I have 3 parent-children relationships setup like this in one form so I have all 3 lookups rolling up into one field by using the dynamic form rules. It was a limitation of that rule that was causing the error. I got rid of that and used a formula instead. All of my lookups are pulling properly. I apologize for the confusion!