How to search for all Notifications and Subscriptions Owned by a specific user

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered

An admin user recently left my company.  He created hundreds of Notifications and Subscriptions over the years. If I deactivate the user, none of those will continue to function.

Is there a way to search our entire account for such and change the owner?

Photo of dwhawe

dwhawe, Champion

• 908 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Matthew Neil

Matthew Neil

• 31,698 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
From the home screen, click "Settings"
> "App management"

> "Manage Notifications, Subscriptions & Reminders"

Then you will see the list of all the notifications in the app, and you can search for the owners, or the content.
Photo of Eliza Little

Eliza Little, Employee

• 606 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Matthew got you half way there-here is how you change the owner once you identify who that owner is:

To transfer an email:
  1. Complete one of the following tasks to access the email:

• For shared emails in a table, open the table that contains the email. Click SETTINGS, then click Notifications, subscriptions, & reminders.

• To choose an email from any table, click SETTINGS from the app Home page. Click App management, then click Manage notifications, subscriptions, & reminders.

• For personal emails, click the user dropdown on the Global bar, then choose My personal settings in this app.

An email list displays.

2. Edit the email by clicking its name in the list.

3. At the bottom of the page, click the Change link next to the current owner's name, and choose another user from the dropdown that appears.

4. Click Save on the Page bar to save your changes.

To transfer multiple emails:
  1. Complete one of the following tasks to access a list of emails:

• For shared emails in a table, open the table that contains the email. Click SETTINGS, then click Notifications, subscriptions, & reminders.

• To choose an email from any table, click SETTINGS from the app Home page. Click App management, then click Manage notifications, subscriptions, & reminders.

2. Select the checkbox next to the name of each email you want to affect, then click Change Owner at the top of the table.

3. Choose the new owner from the dialog.

4. Click Change Owner on the dialog to confirm.   http://help.quickbase.com/user-assistance/transfer_an_email.html
Photo of Ⲇanom the ultimate (Dan Diebolt)

Ⲇanom the ultimate (Dan Diebolt), Champion

• 30,224 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
You could write a script to change the owner of all the notifications and subscriptioins that are owned by the former employee - and it isn't that hard to do. Surprisingly, even if there was an API to do this (there isn't) you would probably not be able to use it because it is unlikely you would have and common API key setup in every application. So in this case our script would just call non-API methods and dip into some of the global variables QuickBase used to build the various pages.

First you would iterate overall applications. To do this just visit your My QuickBase page:

https://haversineconsulting.quickbase.com/db/main?a=myqb

And from the console type these commands:
QB.MyQB.Inputs.appsListData.forEach(function(obj) {
  var dbid = obj.dbid;
  console.log(dbid)
});
You will see a list of all the application dbids listed.

Now within each loop form this url:
  var url = `https://haversineconsulting.quickbase.com/db/${dbid}?a=EmailList`;
This URL is the page that lists all the notifications and subscriptions for a particular application along with the status, owner and other handy infomation. Just dynamically create a <iframe> pointing to this URL and when it loads iterate through QuickBase global variable gEmails which has all the information displayed in the page. Then simply call QBI_AlterEmailList to change the owner over every match you find in iterating over gEmails.

This may sound complicated but it really isn't - probably two dozen lines of code at the most. I would write the script but the inconvenient part is testing it as I don't want to change the ownership of any of my notifications and subscriptions.

How about that? Or you could do it manually iterating over every application, navigating to the  ?a=EmailList page, manually selecting the former employee and applying the needed change.
(Edited)