how to share documents to external (non-QB) user?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered

We created a quickbase app which we can record all the technical supports inquery including the attached documents. What if we want to share the uploaded doc to a non quickbase user (doesn't have qb account) , can we send him the link which the docs is attached and can he view it?

Photo of Mary Pearl

Mary Pearl

• 50 Points

Posted 3 years ago

No problem, though I have not yet tried this myself

On the file attachment field properties there is a checkbox called

"Allow access to this file attachment from a QuickBase link without signing in"

So check that checkbox and then make a mini form to send to the client with just the file attachment and perhaps some file X text element a in the form.

If you have any problems, let me know and I will play with it a bit. Just have not had a chance myself to need to use it, but it's a recent QuickBase enhancement designed specifically for your use case.

I imagine the link will need to include the form ID number to force the mini form to be used.  You could make a field on the form to construct that URL.  Let me know if you get stuck and I will dive in deeper.
Photo of Mary Pearl

Mary Pearl

• 50 Points
Hi Mark, Thank you for your response. I've checked the properties of my document field checkbox  "Allow access to this file attachment from a QuickBase link without signing in" is already checked. However when I change my role to a external role the page has  an error message "Access Denied"
Photo of Harrison Hersch (MCF)

Harrison Hersch (MCF), Champion

• 40 Points
You'll need to share the link to the file directly, rather than the link to the page. You can do this by right clicking the file and copying the link address.

One thing to consider is that this feature releases the file attachments for all records in the table. Depending on your needs, a more secure way to do this would be custom permissions. Take an example of sending someone a copy of a signed document when a contract record in QuickBase is marked as 'closed'. Rather than exposing all records in the table, you could have a custom formula-checkbox field which would check the date the contract was closed and if the current time was within 24 hours of that time (just example), the box is checked. You can then create an everyone on the internet role which can only view records when this box is true. Lastly, you would need to setup custom field permissions to ensure the people in that role can only access that specific file field, nothing else on the table. This is certainly more work, but much more secure.
Photo of Mary Pearl

Mary Pearl

• 50 Points
This one helps. Thank you so much Harrison.
Thx Blake. Never tried it myself, so now I know how.