How would I import data into a Table with existing data in a fashion where I add information to existing records after matching values in a specific field?

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered

How would I import data into a Table with existing data in a fashion where I add information to existing records after matching values in a specific field?

where records in Table 1 have fields F2, F3 and F4. I want to add F6, F7 and F8 from an external data source (by importing a spreadsheet) to each record after meeting a condition where the values in F5 on the spreadsheet = F4 in Table 1.

thanks,

Krishna

Photo of Krishna

Krishna

• 10 Points

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training

QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training, Champion

• 67,348 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
You will need to mess with the data in excel. ie export your data to excel including the record ID field or the Key field of the table. Then use excel to manipulate the data and then import the records which need to be updated taking care to just include the fields which need to be updated in your import and including the record ID field or the key field. If you import data into a record and an imported field is blank it will blank out that "cell". (ie that field on that record)
Photo of Arshad Khwaja

Arshad Khwaja

• 3,152 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Mark, when you are importing data to update fields, do you select Record ID field as well as the field being updated in order to complete the process?  When I did after instructions from the service desk, I could not update. If I leave out Record ID, then I end up appending new records.
Photo of QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training

QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training, Champion

• 67,348 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I assume you are talking about a CSV or Excel import and not a Table to Table Import.

If so, yes, include the [Record ID#] field.