Yehudah Greenberg

Yehudah Greenberg07-31-2017 16:54

Yehudah Greenberg

Yehudah Greenberg07-31-2017 16:55

QuickBaseCoach Dev./Training

QuickBaseCoach Dev./Training07-31-2017 17:33

Yehudah Greenberg

Yehudah Greenberg07-31-2017 17:35

• 1.  HTML import button of tasks uses predecessors numbers not in the database

Posted 07-31-2017 16:42
    I followed Steve Smith's instructions ( here http://www.quickbase.com/quickbase-blog/how-to-quickly-create-multiple-child-records-in-quickbase ) and it worked like a charm until i created tasks with predecessors.  When I do that, then the original predecessor number is imported, and within the task i get an error that that number doesn't exist within the database.  Is there a way to fix this?

• 2.  RE: HTML import button of tasks uses predecessors numbers not in the database

Posted 07-31-2017 16:50
    The native method of creating child records will preserve the predecessors properly.

You have not described your use case,  but have you explored the functionality in app management for the wizard which is titled Copy Master Detail?

A typical use for that is that you have a a situation where you have say 6 standard Projects each with its own set of standard tasks.  You would then create 6 buttons to import a set of standard tasks and presented which buttons are presented to the users based on either the user's choice or the "Project Type".

• 3.  RE: HTML import button of tasks uses predecessors numbers not in the database

Posted 07-31-2017 16:54
    No I have not tried that where is the wizard?

• 4.  RE: HTML import button of tasks uses predecessors numbers not in the database

Posted 07-31-2017 16:55
    Oh got it I'm looking at it now thank you.

• 5.  RE: HTML import button of tasks uses predecessors numbers not in the database

Posted 07-31-2017 16:58
    .. and typically, you do a summary count of the # of tasks and then suppress the import std tasks button(s) if the project already has tasks, so that you users don't import the set of tasks in duplicate / triplicate.

• 6.  RE: HTML import button of tasks uses predecessors numbers not in the database

Posted 07-31-2017 17:17
    So far so good.  With this method, is there a way to "import" the copy button from one table to another?  In other words, can I have multiple buttons on a projects, one which imports table x, one which imports table y, and on for z?

• 7.  RE: HTML import button of tasks uses predecessors numbers not in the database

Posted 07-31-2017 17:26
    I don't know what you mean by import a button.  The button can be created using the API method, or by using that Wizard to build the button for you, or if you understand what the parameters of the button code are, you can copy that button  and edit it's parameters to save time building multiple button with the wizard..

• 8.  RE: HTML import button of tasks uses predecessors numbers not in the database

Posted 07-31-2017 17:28

I think I know how to do what I want...  Thanks for your help.

• 9.  RE: HTML import button of tasks uses predecessors numbers not in the database

Posted 07-31-2017 17:33
    Well then let me say Mazel Tov on your journey. :)

• 10.  RE: HTML import button of tasks uses predecessors numbers not in the database

Posted 07-31-2017 17:35
    Yup...  So far. so good.

• 11.  RE: HTML import button of tasks uses predecessors numbers not in the database

Posted 07-31-2017 17:39
    I'm trying to copy a specific project, and when I hit the "copy" button, I receive the following:  There was an error copying the records. Contact the application administrator with the error details below. 

Error Details:
    CopyFID required

• 12.  RE: HTML import button of tasks uses predecessors numbers not in the database

Posted 07-31-2017 17:45
    Did you use the wizard to make the button, or are you using the API approach?

If you are making a button which will also Copy the Parent project record, then you need to specify a text data entry field such as Project Name so that the new Project record = can be created with a name lkke Copy OfProject xyz.

But I thought you were trying to make a button which would import Tasks from a given template Project.  In that case, the CopyFID is not required.

• 13.  RE: HTML import button of tasks uses predecessors numbers not in the database

Posted 07-31-2017 17:55
    I used the wizard, so I'm not sure where I'm going wrong.  First, I saved records to a project.  Then, I used the wizard to create a copy button to create that specific project.  I've done this with several projects, and all of them return that error.

• 14.  RE: HTML import button of tasks uses predecessors numbers not in the database

Posted 07-31-2017 17:59
    1. Are you trying to be able to Copy a whole Project along with its Children?

2. Can you post the code for the button that the wizard created for you

3. and also tell me the name  and the field ID# of the field which identifies the project - typically a field called Project Name.

• 15.  RE: HTML import button of tasks uses predecessors numbers not in the database

Posted 07-31-2017 18:01
    1 Yes I am.  2  "javascript:void(copyMasterDetailButtonHandler('&sourceRID=43&destrid=" & [Record ID#] & "', 'bmyj8t4e4'))"   3  I'm not sure which project I copied as I've been experimenting with many random projects...  I'll try another one now and keep track of it. 

• 16.  RE: HTML import button of tasks uses predecessors numbers not in the database

Posted 07-31-2017 18:03
    I think I see the problem...  Because of my experiments. every project has a copy entire project button.  I'll clean it up and try again.

• 17.  RE: HTML import button of tasks uses predecessors numbers not in the database

Posted 07-31-2017 18:05
    OK, post back if you are still stuck and I will have a quick look at your app on a GotoMeeting 

• 18.  RE: HTML import button of tasks uses predecessors numbers not in the database

Posted 07-31-2017 18:10
    Still no luck.  Here's the button:  "javascript:void(copyMasterDetailButtonHandler('&sourceRID=49&destrid=" & [Record ID#] & "', 'bmyj8t4e4'))"

Field id is 16  for "copy test

• 19.  RE: HTML import button of tasks uses predecessors numbers not in the database

Posted 07-31-2017 18:12
    Contact me via the contact info on my website and I will have a quick look now.
    quickbasecoach.com  They don't like us posting email addresses on this forum so just email me directly at my gmail email address.