Is it possible to automatically fill in a checkbox field on the main table from data included on a linked report from another table?

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered

Is it possible to automatically fill in a checkbox field on the main table from data included on a linked report from another table?

I have linked a report from my Warranty Table to my Jobs Table. The warranty report indicates with a checkmark if the warranty work has been completed. I have a checkbox field in the jobs table that I would like to be checked when the warranty report checkbox is checked.

Photo of Lynne8817

Lynne8817

• 600 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Jeff

Jeff

• 20 Points
Hi Lynne,

This is possible. You can use a summary field to count the number of related records that have that checkbox checked and use that field in a formula checkbox. In the formula field you would use a formula similar to the one below

If([Summary Field]>0,True)

This checkbox would then automatically check when a child record is created and it has the warranty checkbox checked.

Thanks,

Jeff
Photo of Lynne8817

Lynne8817

I think I need a bit more assistance. I have attached a screen shot Thank you
Photo of Lynne8817

Lynne8817

I think I figured out how to do this.  Thx. Now, how do I get a date field connected to the Warranty record to pull into the Jobs table in conjunction with the Warranty Summary field showing "1" (meaning the warranty has been completed)?
Photo of Jeff

Jeff

• 20 Points
I think at this point it'd be best to submit a support case just so we can see a little better where the data is you are trying to move and how best to move it.
Photo of Lynne8817

Lynne8817

Ok.  Thx.  I am not really trying to move data...just want it to show up in parent table without creating a many-to-many relationship.
Photo of Jeff

Jeff

• 20 Points
Oh ok, you can create a summary of the date field and in the matching criteria you can select only the records where the checkbox is checked. If that doesn't work for what you're looking for. You can submit a case and I'll work with you on it.
Photo of Lynne8817

Lynne8817

Thx. I get an error message "That summary function cannot be applied to this field". I assume because it is a date field?
Photo of Jeff

Jeff

• 20 Points
You can summarize a date field, however you have to select either maximum or minimum. Maximum will give you the most recent date, minimum will give you the oldest date.
Photo of Lynne8817

Lynne8817

I found a "work-around" for this.  Still can't show the date, but can indicate that it has been completed by using an additional formula checkbox and creating a summary field on that.
Photo of Jeff

Jeff

• 20 Points
Oh ok great, glad to hear you found a way to set it up!
Photo of Lynne8817

Lynne8817

Thanks for the tip on summarizing the date field!  Works perfectly.