Is it possible to export or print a list of field names?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
I need to compare the field names across several tables. Is there an easy way to do this?
I was hoping there might be a way to export the list of field names to excel so I could easily compare them... or at a minimum, print the list of field names?
Thanks!
Photo of Karen

Karen

• 222 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Ⲇanom the ultimate (Dan Diebolt)

Ⲇanom the ultimate (Dan Diebolt), Champion

• 30,184 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Just do a query on your table where the [Record ID#] = 0 (this never occurs as the [Record ID#] starts counting at 1) and set the output to csv. What you will get in your csv output is just the header row with the column names separated by commas. Then in Excel select the row and copy it to the clipboard. Finally, select Paste Special and select transpose and your row of field names will be pasted as a column of field names.
Photo of Karen

Karen

• 222 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thanks so much. This only returns a report with the fields that are set up in the default report. But I get what you are saying. I'll create a report that includes all of the fields and filter it with RecordID = 0 and then follow the rest of your instruction. Thanks again - this is super helpful!
Photo of baltschul

baltschul

• 0 Points
I copied the info from the webpage, listing the field names, descriptions and field IDs, then pasted that info into notepad++, cleaned that up then imported the text file into excel. I used it for a Qunect / SQL server project.