Is there a way to create different records just using forms?

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered

Is there a way that a user can click a button off of a form and add a schedule for a specific date just by using different forms in the same table? 

I am trying to create a scheduling application and I will need to create reports based on the records. 

I would like to be able to add a schedule with several different projects and associated times for each employee for each day without having to add a new record for every employee for every day.... 

I've read about a similar issue but I cannot get it to work for me.

Any suggestions? 

Photo of Amanda

Amanda

• 10 Points

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training

QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training, Champion

• 69,572 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
The typical setup is a Many to many Relationship

One Project has many Resource Assignments

One Resource Has many Resource Assignments.

Then you are adding Resource assignment records.  You can use Grid edit to do that to make the entry faster.

Just to expand on my answer above, for example if you were wanting to add resources to a project, you might have an embedded report on the Project record with the current resource assignments.  Then allow that embedded report to be editable in Form properties and then you can use Grid Edit to add additional Resource Assignments.
Photo of Amanda

Amanda

• 10 Points
Ok this seems to work...possibly. But I am stuck on one thing... We are scheduling employees who we track in our system but are not actually a "user". In grid edit mode, I cannot get them to show up from the drop down.

On the form, I can get their names to display by changing the "when use for data entry" option but the list does not display in Grid Edit mode.

I have also tried to change lookup/proxy fields in the relationship but have had no success. If I can get this to work, the Grid edit method should solve my problem.
Is it possible to give these people Quickbase usernames without making them actual users?

The Resources table can just be a table of names with the key field being Record ID#.  Then the Userid can be an optional field.  The drop down field to show can be the employee name.