Is there a way to force a date field to only use the calendar selection?

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered

We've been having issues with users fat fingering extra numbers into the date field. This creates something like 07-21-201597 which then causes huge delays when running reports.

It seems like a date field wouldn't even allow these extra characters, and it doesn't allow letters, but it has no problem with the extra numbers. If we could force users to select the date from the calendar, that would resolve this issue.

Photo of Alan

Alan

• 0 Points

Posted 4 years ago

Try this

Form Rule

When the record is saved

and any

[date] is after today + 15000 days

[date] is before today + -15000 days

Abort the save with message "Bad date"
Photo of Alan

Alan

• 0 Points
Good idea. That will probably work.
I may have been a little generation on that 15000 days.  You can decide how many days = Wonky.
Photo of Alan

Alan

• 0 Points
yep, it didn't actually like the day count like that but i used the same concept and said anything after the date 12-31-9999 or before 01-01-1000. That way it requires a 4 digit year.
Good to know that you allow data entry up to about 8,000 years into the future.  That shows true confidence in the legacy value of your app.  But you might want to tighten that up a bit. :)
Photo of Alan

Alan

• 0 Points
Haha, yeah I thought about that and I probably will just to clean it up. But honestly I'm surprised the date field is configured to allow all those extra numbers. All I really need to do is keep people from fat fingering it. It seems like something that Intuit should have built into it by default. By limiting it to just 8000 years I've already greatly reduced what they allow.