Is there really no way of enforcing form (record) rules in grid edit?

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered

This seems to me like one of those things that should have been implemented a long time ago. Disabling Grid Edit altogether is not feasible for our business because users need to do updates on large amounts of records at once. I would imagine most businesses are in the same situation.

Photo of Juan

Juan

• 20 Points

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Gene Bixler

Gene Bixler

• 0 Points
Hi, Juan,

First, let me thank you for participating in the QuickBase Community. Unfortunately, you are correct that there is no way to enforce form rules in grid edit. The reason is that form rules can only be triggered when the form in question is opened. Since grid edit bypasses the form(s) altogether, the rules associated with individual forms can't be applied.

Depending on the nature of the rules you're using, it may be possible to replace some of them with formulas using if() statements and get similar functionality to rules. However, for many of the functions performed by form rules, this wouldn't be possible.

I see you've already added your support to the appropriate thread at User Voice, which will help our Product Development team understand the scope of the need and increase the chance that they will address the need in a future release.

Thanks again, and I'm sorry that I don't have a better answer for you at this time.

-Gene Bixler

QuickBase Cares Team
Photo of Drew

Drew

• 522 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I was in the same boat for a long time, but I ultimately accomplished what was needed using formula URL fields and the API.  There are loads of examples around that would probably accomplish what you're looking for.  What kind of form rules are you wanting to implement?
Photo of Joseph

Joseph

• 0 Points
Hi Drew.  I actually have a similar situation to Juan.  I have a multiple choice field called Order Status.  There are 5 options for the Status, one of which is the "Shipped" option.  While in Grid Edit mode, my users input Shipping Dates.  I would like the Order Status to change to "Shipped" when a Shipping Date for that record is entered.

You say you've had some experience here.  Is what I'm asking feasible?  The form rules work well for this, but when my users are updating many records in a day, it makes sense to use Grid Edit.

Thanks,

--Joe
Joseph,

My suggestion for the example you raise is to rename your [Status] field to be called [Status input] and to have a second field of type formula-text called [Status] which would be used almost everywhere except data entry.

The formula  for Status would be

IF(not IsNull([Shipping Date]), "Shipped",[Status entry])
Photo of Drew

Drew

I may have been slightly off on the situation that was referenced above.  Generally, i've replaced grid edit reports when updating a parent record from a child record form.  

I think what you would need to do is a combination of fields.

"Final Order Status" (formula text)
"Choose Order Status" (current multiple choice field)
"Shipping Date" (Current date field)

The "Final Order Status" field is what you will use to display / view / report on the status.  The "Choose Order Status" field is used to choose one of the four statuses other than "shipped".

You would set the formula for the "Final Order Status" field to :

if ( isnull ( [Shipping Date] ) , [Choose Order Status] , "Shipped"

What this says is that if the shipping date is blank, the final status will be whatever status is currently set from the drop down box.  If there is a date in the shipping field, the status sets itself to "shipped".  

In this case, you could still have "shipped" as a dropdown option if for some reason you have a situation in which you want to have a status of "shipped" even if you don't know the shipping date.  If you only want the status to say "shipped" when a shipping date is put in, you would remove it from the dropdown options.

All make sense?
Photo of Drew

Drew

Mark beat me by a minute.  His solution is the same, although he explains it more clearly and in 1/5 the number of words.
:)
Photo of Joseph

Joseph

• 0 Points
I'm not sure if my last message came through.  This is actually a pretty simple solution.  Thank you both.