January 2018 Release Notes

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Acknowledged
Here we go:  Coming Jan 21st.

https://www.quickbase.com/quickbase-blog/january-2018-release-notes

New UI.  Lots of purple.  
Lots of bug fixes with the rich text fields.
New options for managing users.
Photo of Matthew Neil

Matthew Neil

• 31,678 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Beth Stell

Beth Stell

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

I am having the same issues.... 
Photo of Beth

Beth

• 1,066 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I was going to say that this is an issue with the first three or four apps on a bar. If you have more than three, the tables show up correctly for the ones to the right of the first three.  But then I went past the fourth one on my bar, and it got messy again.  I will say that the one where it is ok is the one I go into first of all - what my browser is bookmarked to see.  And it seems to remain ok when I go to one of the messed up ones and then go back to it - but wait, no, when I click on tables further to the right, it messes up. 
I love QB dearly - maybe next time I can be a beta tester or something???
Photo of Sherry Blackburn

Sherry Blackburn

• 152 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Same issue here.  Only happens when in the table view, not from the home page.  I'm using IE.
Photo of Gaurav Sharma

Gaurav Sharma

• 5,884 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
@Beth, I would love to join in Beta testing.

Thanks,

Gaurav.
Photo of Dan

Dan

• 1,400 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Same issue here, in Chrome...seems random--I haven't been able to replicate it reliably.
Photo of Sherry Blackburn

Sherry Blackburn

• 152 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Correction:  Happens when opening an app from the tab, but then goes away after clicking on the Home icon (sometimes takes 2-3 clicks to go away).

Photo of NK23

NK23

• 274 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Unable to find the option for testing as a different user or different role. What happened to that feature?
Photo of QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training

QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training, Champion

• 65,280 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
You need to be in an App, and not the My Apps page.  Is that the issue?
Photo of USA

USA

• 504 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Confirmed... same problem here. It is not there.
Photo of NK23

NK23

• 274 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I am viewing or editing a record and I need to see how another role or user will see the same record.

I think you should post a new question as this thread is for the UI change.  Your issue would seem to have nothing to do with UI change and Test as Role and Test as User still works for me.
Photo of Matthew Neil

Matthew Neil

Its because they can't "see" the option with the white branded header.

Change your branded header so its not white, then you should see the options.
(also, as long as you are still an admin)

Ah yes, Matthew is correct.  Change the header color or waiting until overnight and they are patching that, per Sam Jones.
Photo of USA

USA

Yep, that is definitely the problem.

Thnx :)
Photo of Sam Jones

Sam Jones, Employee

• 2,330 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Hey all, 
Patch for this going out in about 5 minutes.

Sam Jones
QuickBase Product Manager

Photo of Manny Hernandez

Manny Hernandez

• 258 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
good to hear! thanks sam!
Photo of Matthew Neil

Matthew Neil

Keep your chin up Sam.
Photo of Anna Kelley

Anna Kelley

• 862 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
HAHAHA. Thanks for the levity in this situation. I feel for Sam too. Tough day at the office. Tell Brad hi :)
Photo of fusion

fusion

• 474 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
"Don't worry, all our users will be our Alpha testers. I am sure they are gonna love our QB purple!"
Photo of Sam Jones

Sam Jones, Employee

@Matt, I seriously tried to get the PM team to all go as that guy for halloween. 
Photo of Sam Jones

Sam Jones, Employee

@Anna, Rick now. Brad and I parted ways a while back.
Photo of Anna Kelley

Anna Kelley

LMAO..Matthew works with Brad (who happens to be my husband). Tell Rick hi, though! :-P
Photo of Sam Jones

Sam Jones, Employee

OH. I thought you meant Brad Smith, CEO of Intuit.

I say hi to your husband too, though!

Sam Jones

Photo of JeanRollins

JeanRollins

• 142 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled This update is horrendous, made it extremely difficult to read.

This update is horrendous. We have been a Quickbase user since 2007 and this by far the worst update ever. The color scheme makes it extremely difficult to read.  The purple, on a high resolution monitor, actually hurts your eyes.  The black in the new black and white report format is not black, it is gray, making reports extremely difficult to read.   The kerning is totally different from one monitor to another.  Our phones have been very busy with our users complaining this morning.  Finally, our logo is almost not visible.  I sincerely hope that Quickbase will reconsider these changes.  This could hurt Quickbase in the marketplace.
Photo of Sam Jones

Sam Jones, Employee

Hey Jean,
Thanks so much for sharing your feedback! 
We'll be patching the black on grey on summary reports tonight, and making some adjustments which should help with your logo. You may want to adjust your custom branding background color so it displays better.

Sam Jones

Photo of JeanRollins

JeanRollins

Twinkie Winkie died today.  Coincidence????  Quickbase sucked all the purple out of the world.  Sorry Sam, could not resist.
Photo of Thomas

Thomas

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled New UI needs work.

The new user interface is making QuickBase almost unusable.  Colors are too bright in some areas, black text on dark gray background is difficult to see, text alignment and sizing is making reports unreadable

One upside is the font looks a little nicer  :-)

Please bring back the old UI so that I can get some work done.

Thanks!
Photo of Sam Jones

Sam Jones, Employee

Hey Thomas,
We'll be fixing the black on grey tonight. Please open a support case and include screenshots of the report difficulties. We're trying to get those sorted out. As you probably realize, reports are often huge and contain many different customizable options. It's hard to test all those combinations beforehand, so we're doing our best to iterate improvements.

Sam Jones

Photo of Dan

Dan

• 30 Points

I have written 10 items up after using the new UI for a few mins. What kind of testing did Quickbase do? Seems they didn't do much. If the colors are unreadable I would think that would have been caught in 5 mins by a tester.

Also started getting replies from the support team like: "this is part of the new UI and not a bug"

Photo of USA

USA

"It's not a bug... it's a feature" ~ Lazy Dev's everywhere.
Photo of Sam Jones

Sam Jones, Employee

@Dan, 
Our testing indicated it was more readable. Where are you having issues?

Sam Jones

Photo of Manny Hernandez

Manny Hernandez

• 258 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
New color fix is working for me! NICE FIX! The color bar changes with the customer branding to match. Clever. 
Photo of John Mclean

John Mclean

• 484 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
How do we change the color?

Home
Settings
App management
Branding
Customize app header & footer
Basic and then enter a hex color code or use the box to see the pop up color square
Photo of John Mclean

John Mclean

Thanks!

Now I'm not pissed at Quickbase just looking at the site. 

That made it where I'm willing to at least willing to attempt to fix the other crazy changes. 

Buttons now clash with things
(Edited)

If you want to put in your own corporate logo at the top right to replace the Q>>, you can do that too.  The logo will need to be stored in a place which  your users have access too.  But you can also just put words if you don't want to bother with a logo.   The top left logo can be just an image or words and also can hyperlink off to say the corporate website.
Photo of Anna Kelley

Anna Kelley

I have a table called "Logo" and created a field for file attachments and uploaded my logo, then hid the table from view. Most don't know QB like I do, so them finding the table is unlikely. Hope this helps.
Photo of Ken

Ken

• 292 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I love the idea of using the corporate logo as a link to our corporate web site. How would I do that? Thanks.

np
Home
Settings
App management
Branding
Customize app header & footer

and then 

Left Element

and then use the chain link icon to specify a web address.

For the logo, in the box for the words, you can specify an image

https://mycompany.quickbase.com/up/xxxxxx/g/rb/eh/va/RCR%20Logo%20quarter%20size.png

if you store the image in a table in your app or an app that all you users have access to and then click on the file attachment to view it you can use that URL
Photo of Ken

Ken

Awesome! Thanks Mark! I didn't notice the chain link icon. You're the man!
Photo of Ken

Ken

I have the link to the corporate site working. I'm sorry to ask a follow up question but how do I build the URL to point to the image I have stored in a QuickBase table?

Just click the image on the file attachment and it if it is a png type will pop up in the browser.  Then just copy and paste that URL that you see,  into the box to the left of the links in that Branding setup screen.
Photo of Ken

Ken

Thanks again Mark! You're the best!
Photo of Joe Scola

Joe Scola

• 136 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
The feedback I received was all very positive - "Quick Base is looking awesome! I love the new Interface.  It’s crisp, clean, and clear. "  and  I love the new look of Quick Base.  I am really impressed with the new design and ease of use.”

Then the patch overnight - perfection!  Great plan B by Quick Base and something we've wanted for a long time. 

My clients without custom colors are purple and it looks good. When I look back at one of their old apps which did have custom branding colors it now looks too boring, so the purple is a good default choice for customers without a desire for custom branded colors.
Photo of John Mclean

John Mclean

I glad at least some people like the change, I lost an entire day of productivity dealing with people who's stuff isn't working the same anymore. 

I have decided now I hate it, and want my useable system back. 

Quickbase need to learn how to roll out changes in a manner that doesn't cost their customers a significant amount of revenue. We are a startup, and use Quickbase because of it's simplicity, but the way this was hammered through is completely unacceptable. 
Photo of USA

USA

"I have decided now I hate it, and want my useable system back."

100% agreed. This was a terrible update.

That seems to be a bit of a pessimistic viewpoint.  There is much to like in this update and I'm sure they will fix any clear bugs quickly with more overnight patches.
Photo of USA

USA

We will have to agree to disagree on "There is much to like in this update".

I'll leave it at that.
Photo of John Mclean

John Mclean

They should have tested it, and launched it in a demo mode with a button to revert back to old setting. They could have added comment box that had to be filled in prior to the revert to get the reason people wanted to revert back. 

My opinion is simple...the person who approved to allow this mess to go forward the way it did should be fired! or at least be demoted. 

The reasoning is simple...as a single product company Quickbase should be more worried about customer perception of the company. 

I have been a relatively longtime user of Quickbase (roughly 10 years) I have brought their product to now my 3rd company, and recommended many time to others. I know this has changed my opinion of Quickbase as a company, and I can't be the only one.

Now my recommendations will always have a disclaimer like "don't get attached to it working a certain way, because they may change it on you." if others feel the same way the damage to their brand they won't be able to easily fix. 
Photo of Anna Kelley

Anna Kelley

Anyone know if it's possible to get rid of this last bit of purple?
Photo of Anna Kelley

Anna Kelley

One more thing, is there a way to make the font black instead of white on the app bar? Or to make the grey darker on the app bar so the white is more visible?
(Edited)

The app bar is automted to be a few shades darker than you custom Header color. So you would need to make your custome Header color a bit darker.
Photo of Anna Kelley

Anna Kelley

Thanks! Guess I'll be switching to the white logo on my apps LOL - but that is still a much better fix than living with purple!
Photo of James Hutchins

James Hutchins

• 124 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have been fielding reports of issues from users this morning and these are the two problems with the new UI that seem to be causing the most consternation:

1) "The hidden icons for the additional functions in the banner are totally gone.  If I hover over the area a description appears.  We want the icons back without hiding them.  Maybe they could put this in the banner settings.

Works the same in Chrome and IE."

2)"Hi James,

In the QuickBase new UI, I have a problem seeing the bottom of pages.  As you can see, even in full screen mode the words at the bottom of the page are cut off:

I am using Chrome here.  BTW, it works okay in IE."

If there is anything you guys have planned to fix these issues please let me know.

Thank you!

Photo of Sam Jones

Sam Jones, Employee

Hey James,
Check your custom branding. You may have an invalid color entered rather than "white". If it's white, as of 11pm last night you should see the upper right icons in black.

Sam Jones

OK, this is too funny.  email from my client saying "what happened to the colors - was here a change, everything is too bland now, and not enough contrast.

So it turns out that their brand new corporate color is purple, so I removed the Customer Header colour and it defaulted to purple.  They love it.

Sometimes you get lucky.
(Edited)
Photo of Sam Jones

Sam Jones, Employee

Hah! That's great. 

Sam Jones

Photo of Evan Martinez

Evan Martinez, Community Manager

• 11,406 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I wanted to make everyone who was following this thread aware that we have a new thread up from our Product Manager Sam detailing some of the upcoming changes to our calendars in February. They are changing visually and also gaining a number of new functionalities we are excited about. That thread can be found here:

https://community.quickbase.com/quickbase/topics/new-calendar-behavior-changes