Limit the summary text records to the most recent 3 child records

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • In Progress
When I am creating a summary text field on my parent table, is there a way that I can limit the child records to the most recent 3 records?

Parent (Invoices) -> Child (comments)
We only want to see the 3 most recent comments in the summary field.
Photo of Janet

Janet

• 282 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of Justin Torrence

Justin Torrence

• 648 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
If you embed a Report Link on a form, you can limit the Rows to display to whatever you like.

This doesn't help you when the link displays in reports, unfortunately.
(Edited)
Photo of Janet

Janet

I don't think the user wants this information on a form. they want in a report. Thanks for the input! that is really great to know. if the report part does not work great, this could be another option for them.  Thanks!!!!
Photo of QuickBasePros (Laura Thacker)

QuickBasePros (Laura Thacker), Champion

• 5,224 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
If you're referring to the new combined-text summary field; then you need to first identify what the 3 most recent child-table records are.  You can do that with the following:

1.  Summary field between Invoices < Child called [Maximum Record ID#] where you are pulling the Maximum [Record ID#] value

2.  Lookup field to Child table [Maximum Record ID#]

3.  Summary field between Invoices < Child [2nd Maximum Record ID#] = Max Record ID# where [Record ID#] is NOT equal to [Maximum Record ID#]

4.  Lookup field to Child table [2nd Maximum Record ID#]

5.  Summary field between Invoices < Child [3rd Maximum Record ID#] = Max Record ID# where [Record ID#] is NOT equal to [Maximum Record ID#] and [Record ID#] is NOT equal to [2nd Max Record ID#]

6.  Lookup field to Child table [3rd Maximum Record ID#]

7.  Formula field (checkbox)
     If([Record ID#] = [Maximum Record ID#] or [Record ID#] = [2nd Maximum Record ID#] or [Record ID#] = [3rd Maximum Record ID#], true, false)

8.  Combined Text Summary Field:  Combine text where [Formula-Checkbox Field] = true.

This way your combined Text will constantly change as your Child-Records update

A more convoluted way to do this would be via reverse relationships; which would also be helpful depending on how you want to "view" these comments; in a combined text field; they will all be in a single-field separated.  Via 3 relationships they will be in separate fields.
(Edited)
Photo of Janet

Janet

Yes, I am referring to the new combined text summary field. I am eager to try this out. Thanks for the step by step process!
Photo of Janet

Janet

QuickBasePros_IDS, Champion
Your solution works great, thanks so much for the solution!!!!