link records after already created

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered

Can I link records from different tables via a relationship after the records have already been created?  (somehow plugging in the numeric field that is the link).  My actual problem is that I need to be able to create several linked records quickly at a time, and could do so via grid edit if i could just plug in the numeric link field.

Photo of Carole Vandenberg

Carole Vandenberg

• 186 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

I think that I know what you mean.

Be careful before you make this change or do it on a copy of the app.

If you only want to do data entry for the [related parent] by directly keying the record Id of the parent, then change the field for [Related parent] to be a formula based on it being the value of the field [Related Parent Direct Entry]

But I "know" you will come back and say well it depends on my mood or the situation the user as to how they prefer.

So then you would make another relationship where 1 child has many parents and call the related parent field to be called [related parent from drop down list]. But have no lookup fields and get rid of the default fields on the left side of the relationship.

Then you will have your field for the direct entry - just a numeric field called Parent record ID direct entry].

Then you will change your existing field for [Related Parent] to be a formula numeric field.

The formula will be

if( [related parent from drop down list]>0, [related parent from drop down list],Parent record ID direct entry])

The you can do your entry traditionally or by direct entry.

\