Locking a Field Once populated

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered

I have a project completion date which is initially populated by PMs. But once entered, I want them to seek an approval to change it.  I have a process in place for this so that such requests are approved and the new date becomes 'approved completion date', a separate field. 

I would like to enforce the discipline. Tried to look at dynamic form functionality.  The most I can do is to link to current date.  But that still does not work. How to ensure that date is filled once and then becomes read only.   

Photo of Arshad Khwaja

Arshad Khwaja

• 3,142 Points 3k badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training

QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training, Champion

• 62,994 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Set up a field called [Record ID# mirror]
With a formula of simply [Record ID#]

(  for some reason, form rules do not let you use the record ID field directly. )

Then make a dynamic form rule

When  multiple conditions are true

When [Record ID# mirror] not equals (blank)
Users is not in the Role High Level

Make read only [Project Completion Date]

In other words, what is happening here is that before the record is initially saved, the record ID does not exist so it is blank. Under those conditions you were OK to let anybody enter a project completion date. But once the record has been initially saved once and a record ID number has been assigned then the normal lower level role permission users are not allowed to edit that field.
Photo of GerryD

GerryD

• 174 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This is really clever - will begin testing it this week. Thanks for the contribution.
Gerry
Photo of Arshad Khwaja

Arshad Khwaja

• 0 Points
Many thanks Mark.  I used this solution of yours in relation to another issue,.  So I have a field in place.  Great innovation.
Photo of Arshad Khwaja

Arshad Khwaja

Mark, in case where record was saved, however, the field in question was left blank or the info was not available at that time and the field is now read only using this solution. How could I ensure that user is able to edit one time using this solution as long as the field is blank?  
Photo of QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training

QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training, Champion

• 62,994 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
No problem,
change the form rule

when multiple conditions are true
when ALL of the following are true

Date is not equal to (leave blank)
[Record Id# mirror] is not Equal to blank

Make read only [Project Completion Date] 
Photo of Arshad Khwaja

Arshad Khwaja

very kind of you for your help.  This worked well.