Login Form for Public Online Guest

• Question
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • Answered
I'd like to create a login form, accessible only by users of a certain role within my application.

This form would ask for an account number to be entered, and a button to create a new entry into the database if the user has not previously started an entry.

If the user has already started an entry, the login form would the bring up this entry in another editable form.

Is this possible?
Photo of David W. Brown

David W. Brown

• 0 Points

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Surya

Surya

• 0 Points
Are your public online guests registered users within your application? It doesn't sound like that from what you say, but let me explain both situations for you.

1. Typically members of the public for whom you have limited access to your application and you don't want them to be registered users are typically called "Everyone on the Internet" users. They will not have to login with a username and password like the registered user (such as you, for example).

2. If you actually have had them as registered users, then they would have to first login in to you application the normal way and then you can create the application personalized for their role.

Which of these apply to you?
Photo of David W. Brown

David W. Brown

• 0 Points
These would be "Everyone on the Internet", but other than the typical QB log in, I wanted a QB form for log in, with a user of "Guest" which has a role and rules that only allow certain form and records (Acct#) for their updates.
Photo of Surya

Surya

• 0 Points
Excellent. Create a role called "Guest" and assign it to "Everyone on the Internet". Configure that role to view data only in that one table that has these account numbers. You should also give them add permissions to that table, since you indicated that they will need to add data with their account number.

Now configure your table, its form and the dashboard accordingly. Hope that helps.

I've done something similar to this at work. Here is a link to it: https://flra.quickbase.com/db/bgfwmcjx4
Photo of David W. Brown

David W. Brown

• 0 Points
Your example is exactly what I want to create, thanks!
Photo of David W. Brown

David W. Brown

• 0 Points
Surya,

From your link above, your FLRA initial "form"? with the prompts to register or log in, is this a QB Form?  I don't see an underlying table which usually the Fields, Rules, Formula's, Forms, Reports etc. are built.  I wish I could see the code.  How did you do this?

David
Photo of Surya

Surya

• 0 Points
Yes. Most of them are QB forms, except for one of them being a Perl script. Only application administrators can see the code. For all the others, it will not show the underlying info. As to how I did this, it took me two months to build the module. It is too hard to explain the whole thing on this forum.