Look up contacts for multiple fields

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
In my new project form, I am trying to select from a contact list, a contact for Project Manager, Project Engineer and Foreman.  I've created a relationship between the project table and the contact table, but I can't figure out how to make a drop down list and choose the contact for each position.  I've read everything I can in the online help, but it doesn't work.  When I try to change the type to lookup, the field becomes unselectable in the form.See screen snaps attached:

Photo of Matt

Matt

• 0 Points

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training

QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training, Champion

• 67,448 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
no problem.

Your relationships is backwards.  Delete it and start over.  In fact 1 Contact, say the Project Manager,  will have Many projects. He(she?) will certainly not retire after doing just 1 Project!

Once you get that working, rename the field called [Related Contact] to be called Related Project Manager, and rename the lookup fields appropriately.

Then as a shortcut you can duplicate the field [Related Project Manager].  That will duplicate the Relationship.  Then edit that second relationships to rename the [Related Contact] field and do its lookup fields.

On each relationship, delete the field on the left called Add Project, as it will just be clutter.  I suggest also deleting the other field called "Projects" as you probably won't need it and its just clutter.
Photo of Matt

Matt

• 0 Points
Thanks
Photo of Matt

Matt

• 0 Points
Also,  I am choosing the 'Full Name' field, which is a formula field combining First and Last.  The drop down in the look up is showing 'Contact 26 - Bob' instead of 'Bob Smith'.  Is there a reason for this?
Photo of QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training

QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training, Champion

• 67,448 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
The low tech way to fix this is to go to the table of C and then settings and then advanced properties and at the bottom, set the "Record Picker" fields, i.e. the fields that will be shown to the users to help them "Pick Records".