Lots of unknown 'users' appearing in my user list

  • 0
  • 1
  • Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
Hi

I noticed this morning that my list of users is being populated by seemingly random numbers. I'm confused at to where these are coming from. Could somebody advise? Has anyone encountered this before?



I've attached an image



Thanks

Photo of Barnee

Barnee

  • 0 Points

Posted 3 years ago

  • 0
  • 1
Photo of Rick

Rick

  • 10 Points
Do you bulk import data through a CSV or Excel file?
Photo of Barnee

Barnee

  • 0 Points
No - all users in this app are imported manually
Photo of Rick

Rick

  • 10 Points
Typically, I have seen this when you perform an import of numeric information into a user field. To clarify, when you say "imported manually", what do you mean?
Photo of Barnee

Barnee

  • 0 Points
By that I mean I either gave them access to the app by typing in their name (if they are already signed up to our quickbase), or typed in their email (if they have not) and waited for them to join.

I don't believe I have any numeric info being imported into a user field. I do have a user field that converts text into a user using the ToUser() function, though. It wouldn't make sense to me if this was the issue because every case of this field being used seems to correctly output a real user as intended.
Photo of Rick

Rick

  • 10 Points
That's odd. It must be a mismatching with the data that is creating the placeholders. I would suggest creating a support case as someone will need to look at your app.
Photo of Scott

Scott

  • 314 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
If you query quickbase via api calls and you try to incorrectly write content to a user field, it will create a placeholder user in your system.  No idea why this happens, but it does!  Check your any formula fields on you app where they use api calls and check to see if they are editing any user fields.  The formula will save just fine, however when it is executed it will get screwy with the user field.
Photo of Barnee

Barnee

  • 0 Points
I think I found the problem. I had a legacy formula user field I used for testing. I must have forgotten to remove it. It gave me an error explaining that the formula will output text and not a user.

I'm a little surprised though. I was under the impression the formula would not run if QuickBase detected there was an error in the formula.

I guess I'll find out if it's the problem if my user list keeps getting populated with more numbers.

Thanks
Photo of Scott

Scott

  • 314 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Good to hear!  Feel free to remove the placeholder accounts whenever you want, or leave them.  Placeholder accounts don't actually take up a user slot, so leaving them doesn't actually hurt- but it does make it look a touch more cluttered.