My form for adding a new record no longer opens.

• Question
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • Answered
After successfully adding 177 records to my table, my form for adding a new record no longer opens. When I select +New Update, the screen changes like it wants to let me add a new update, but the form is not there. I have not messed with the settings since setting this table up. I went to settings/forms but everything looked OK. I selected Preview, and nothing was shown in the preview window. I added the Record ID field to the form and tried to preview again, same thing. I took out the Record ID field, saved, logged out of Quickbase, logged back in, same thing. I do not see anyone else even in this application for the last couple of weeks except me. It worked fine yesterday.
Photo of Mark

Mark

• 0 Points

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of QuickBasePros (Laura Thacker)

QuickBasePros (Laura Thacker), Champion

• 6,396 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Check the following:
1 - do you have only 1 Form in the table
2 - are your role settings showing the correct Form in the View / Edit / Add columns
3 - is your Form Layout empty?

If the answer to 3) is "oh heck yes" - then Quickbase has accidentally removed all your fields from your Form Layout and you need to contact Intuit Support to restore the entire application back to yesterday / previous day in time where the Form was "fine".

I had this exact same issue on a table and they have identified a bug where the user uses the "back arrow" on the browser and it can wipe out (in some cases) the Form Layout from a table. My experience occurred without this step; but it's impossible to reproduce.

If, your Form Layout is NOT empty; then review steps 1 and 2.
Photo of Ⲇanom the ultimate (Dan Diebolt)

Ⲇanom the ultimate (Dan Diebolt), Champion

• 30,434 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Try other browsers and computers to see if this it the cause of the problem. A screen shot of what you do see would be helpful to debug.
Photo of Mark_Shnier

Mark_Shnier

• 700 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I see that Laura is also responding, but I have seen a form go blank (very scary) when i have added a conditional drop down input field twice on a form.  Do you have conditional drop down where the drop down value depends on the previous selection of a value in another field.  Maybe the  input field somehow got added to the form twice
Photo of Mark

Mark

• 0 Points
There is only one form in this table.
The settings appeared to be correct.
The Form Layout was not empty. In fact, I cleared all four elements, added the four elements back, still nothing.
I did not have, nor added, any special rules or permissions.
I double-checked the four fields in this table and they look OK.
I am an Administrator for this table and my settings look OK.

Can you contact me and we can try to troubleshoot online with screenshare?

Thanks for the added tip!
Photo of Mark

Mark

• 0 Points
I signed out of Quickbase, closed Explorer, signed into Quickbase with Mozilla/Firefox, same thing.

Try to copy the form and maybe something will clear in the new version of the form.
Photo of Mark

Mark

• 0 Points
I tried to create a new form, but same result.
Photo of Mark

Mark

• 0 Points
334-782-6515. I have Teamviewer. I am standing by.
Photo of Mark_Shnier

Mark_Shnier

My money is on the duplicate Conditional drop down field theory.
Photo of Mark

Mark

• 0 Points
Add new update does not work in any of our applications or tables. When selecting +New Update, the screen changes, the Save and Cancel buttons are in the upper-right corner, but the screen is blank. Grid Edit works but the update form feature is not.

Did you (1) copy the existing form or (2) try to create a new form from scratch?

There is a classic problem with forms being resubmitted when you use the back button. Did you hit the back button on the form editing page (ie ?a=DFormProps) before this situation occurred? Only QuickBase could fix this but the problem should be largely repeatable.
Photo of Mark

Mark

• 0 Points
There are only four fields. The first is DOW which is a calculated field based on the date. The other three fields are date, time, message text. No conditional drop downs.
Photo of Mark_Shnier

Mark_Shnier

If all your forms in all tables have died at once, then you need support and should put in a ticket using the HELP link at the top of the screen.
Photo of Mark

Mark

• 0 Points
No, I was not editing.
Photo of Mark

Mark

• 0 Points
Gladly, however I do not see a HELP link at the top of the screen.
Photo of Mark_Shnier

Mark_Shnier

Does this link work for you? https://quickbase.intuit.com/support/portal/#
Photo of Mark

Mark

• 0 Points
Sending you a big electronic hug. My Java was really old. Our IT guys updated my Java and reinstalled Chrome. I am back in business!
Photo of Mark

Mark

• 0 Points
Thanks, but Laura hit the nail on the head with her theory that my Java was old. It was. It is updated and I am back in business. Thanks.

Mark - so happy to hear that it was an easy (if not frustrating) solution.

I have come across this in large businesses with locked down controls on updates; where the java is out of date and the browsers stop working properly.
Photo of Mark

Mark

• 0 Points
Thanks but Laura figured out my Java was not up to date. With Java updated, I am back in business. Thanks.
Photo of Mark

Mark

• 0 Points
They are rightly concerned with their controls. It takes time to build trust to have some of these controls relaxed. Until then...

Thanks again. Mark

Yes, I made the comment as a helpful hint for other users who experience this problem; that if they work for large companies with lock down controls on updating things such as browsers and Java, that it could be outdated Java causing the issue.  This is now the second User I have seen with the same problem.