My numeric field displays record number instead of value in "view" mode but displays correctly in "Edit" mode. How do I fix this?

  • 0
  • 1
  • Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
I have a relationship between two tables with "Error Code" field as the proxy and two corresponding fields as lookups in table B. In table A, when you select Error Code it displays the list of Error codes from table B and when an error code is selected, it displays the two corresponding look up fields. When you edit a record in table A, the Error code field displays the Error number but in View mode, it displays the Record number. Can I correct this to display the Error Code Number and not the Record number?

Photo of Tawna

Tawna

  • 0 Points

Posted 6 years ago

  • 0
  • 1
Photo of QuickBasePros (Laura Thacker)

QuickBasePros (Laura Thacker), Champion

  • 5,314 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Check the following:
1. Your [Related Reference] field has a Proxy field (you do not need one though)
2. In your Form Layout, you are probably using the [Related Reference] field in Add/Edit/View modes rather than the [Error Code] proxy field

It sounds like you are using the [Related Reference] field in your Form Layout in View mode as well as Add/Edit mode, which is causing the display of the record ID# from the parent.

You can either use a Proxy field in Add/Edit/View modes, or use the [Related Reference] field in your Form Layout for Add/Edit only, and then use a Lookup [Error Code] field in View mode.
Photo of Jay (DDS)

Jay (DDS)

  • 430 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This looks exactly like what I need to do, but I can't figure out how to make the proxy field show up, rather than the record ID#.  Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
On the field likely called [Related Parent], edits its field properties to show the meaningful field from the Parent record. Oh,and be sure that field is one if the lookup fields.

Put that meaningful field on the form and take the [Related Parent] field off the form.
Photo of Adam

Adam

  • 20 Points
For me it worked if I selected the "Read only" option on the form editor field list. Granted, it's read only by the nature of it being a lookup field anyway, but ticking it caused the correct value to display. I know this answer is years old, but I found it whilst looking for my own guidance and figured this might help others.
Photo of Richard Pfister

Richard Pfister

  • 584 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Thanks Adam, that one-click solution was perfect for me.