My Reporting challenge in Quickbase: The details follow.

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered

1. I have a many to many relationship between Projects and Programs: Tables are Project, Program and Project to Program Join

2. I have a one to many relationship between Projects and Project Statuses: Tables are Project and Project Status

3. I have a one to many relationship between Programs and Program Statuses: Tables are Program and Program Status.

Requirement: View a Program with associated projects, program status records and related project status records.

Apparently I cant do this natively in Quickbase. How would I generate this report?

thanks,

Krishna

Photo of Krishna

Krishna

• 10 Points

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training

QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training, Champion

• 67,348 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Is there a practical limit to the number of Programs which could be on that Join table for a given Project?
Photo of Krishna

Krishna

• 10 Points
No, why do you ask?

Well, say project 1 is involved on Programs A, B, C.  So you want the Project and the Project Status records to know that and print on a report as a simple field "A, B, C"  (e.g. Digital, Adobe, Shmobe) .  Then Project 2 is involved with Programs B, C, D.  So you need those names to be on the Project record.  Then maybe Project 3 is involved with programs ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ - ie 26 Programs. So you want all 26 programs to print in a field on a report.  Is that what you are asking for?  I have native a solution which can do say the first 10 Programs or maybe the first 20, but you need to do what is called a reverse relationship for each.  So there needs to be a limit for this solution as to how many it can handle before it just says "... and more"
Photo of Krishna

Krishna

• 10 Points
I dont see the number of programs a project is associated with going beyond 10 or 20.

OK, so here we go.

Let's just do say the first thee Programs and you will then be able to continue to do another 7 or 13 more.

We will look at the relationship between the Join Table and the Projects table.

1. Make a summary field of the Minimum of the field [Related Program] and call it [Record ID# of Program 1]

2. Look that up down to the Join table and call it [Record ID# of Program 1]

3. Make a summary field of the Minimum of the field [Related Program] subject to the filter that the [related program] > [Record ID# of Program 1] and call it [Record ID# of Program 2 ] (you may find it faster to Copy that first field)

4. Look that up down to the Join table and call it [Record ID# of Program 2]

5. Make a summary field of the Minimum of the field [Related Program] subject to the filter that the [related program] > [Record ID# of Program 2] and call it [Record ID# of Program 3 ] (you may find it faster to Copy that first field)

( and you will continue that patterns as far as you like).

So now we are step closer. The Project records now know the record ID# of the first three programs.

Now we need to set up a relationship to pull in the name of the first program as us humans are not so good with a Record ID# as a descriptive identifier of a program.

Make a relationship between Programs and Projects where the reference field on the right side is [Record ID# of program #1], and then do a lookup of the Program name, and call it [Program Name 1]

Repeat the above to get down the [Program Name 2] and [Program Name 3]

Lastly we will concatenate them altogether calling the field [All programs].

List(", ",

[Program name 1],

[Program name 2],

[Program name 3])

If you decide that you also want these on your Project Status records, then that's just a lookup down from Projects to Project Status of that [All programs] field.

Oh, one more tip.  If you make the relationship to do that lookup of the Program name to get [Program Name 1], then when you do this
Make a summary field of the Minimum of the field [Related Program]  subject to the filter that the [related program] > [Record ID# of Program 1] and call it [Record ID# of Program 2 ]  (you may find it faster to Copy that first field)

and if you do it by a Copy, it will also copy that Relationship for you to get the Program name - saving some time.
Photo of Krishna

Krishna

• 10 Points
Genius! Thank you.

So did it work for you?  You built it?
Photo of Krishna

Krishna

• 10 Points
just built it, checking it as we chat
Photo of Krishna

Krishna

• 10 Points
On a cursory test, it works. Thank you sir!
Photo of Krishna

Krishna

• 10 Points
Reporting Requirement:

I have a one to many between Programs and Program Statuses;
I have a many to many relationship between Projects and Dependencies, implemented thru a Join table called Project Dependencies;
I have a one to many between Programs and Projects.

How would I include related project dependencies on a Program status report?