Need assistance with reminders and user fields

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
I am trying to set up a reminder to be sent when a certain date has passed in a certain table.  It seems that I need to associate the USER with each record in the table.  I want the USER to apply to all the records in the table as we add each new record.  Please advise
Photo of Lynne8817

Lynne8817

• 580 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Jack

Jack, Champion

• 50 Points
Hi Lynne,

I'm not sure I completely understand your request, so will offer you a few options below, one of these should address your issue.

Option One - if you want a notification sent to the user who created the record

Create a notification and select the user field Record Owner (this is the person that created the record)

Option Two - if you want to send the remind to a user that you specify when you add the record

Add a user field to your form and use this as the user field to send the email reminder to.

Option Three - if you want to send all emails to the same person irrespective of who added the record and across all table records

Click the home button on the relevent app and go into settings, variables, then create a variable called EmailAddress (as a general rule when naming variables i leave spaces out between words in case i end up naming a field the same) and add the email address of the user you want to send the notification to. 

Then go to the table which you want to send the notification from and create a formula user field called Email User and add the formula ToUser([EmailAddress]). Then setup your reminder to be sent to the user in the field email user. If you need to update the email address at a later date you can edit the email address in the variable, the same variables can be used across the app, so if wanting to do the same in another table you would only need to create the user field and reference the variable as above.

If none of the above are what you need please add a comment below with some further detail on your issue and ill come back to you.

Regards

Jack
Photo of Lynne8817

Lynne8817

Thank you.  I have implemented option 2.  Is there a way for the USER to automatically populate the USER field every time I create a new record?  Thx
Photo of QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training

QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training, Champion

• 65,310 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Lynne, any user field can be set to default to a specific user.  Set that in the field's Properties.
Photo of Lynne8817

Lynne8817

No need to answer.  I figured out what I want to do . Thx
Photo of Lynne8817

Lynne8817

Thank you.  I have been using Qbase for several years and this is the first time I have used a User field, so I may have more questions.

Lots of possibilities are opened up when you use User fields in terms of being able to customize reports for "My Tickets" or "My records" or whatever, ie records that are assigned to me.  It makes the app much more personal for each user.
Photo of Lynne8817

Lynne8817

Another question. My Users show the email address, but the "name" says none.  How do I edit the user so that his/her name  is included on his/her record?
Photo of Lynne8817

Lynne8817

I have sent a screen shot to your email of my user where his name is not showing in the User Name field.  Please advise on how to edit this field.  Thank you

I have not seen anything come though on my email, but each individual users needs t be asked to edit their Profile information, but clicking on their email / name at the top right of any QuickBase screen.